We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Discount for Windsor Castle & national rail

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cali
Level Contributor
98 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Discount for Windsor Castle & national rail

from all the things i have read from london forum, i'm trying to get the best deal for my money (solo traveller on a budget).

Will be traveling to Windsor.

1. From Paddington, I understand that I need to get a national rail ticket. I have read that I can get a discount on the Windsor Castle's admission ticket if i get a "joint ticket" from South West Trains. Can I buy this ticket a day or 2 days before to avoid lines? Actually, where & how do I buy them?

2. If I use my Oyster Card to pay for this (currently off peak round trip price is 8.50GBP), is this the max I will be charged for the day if I go back in London and travel within Zones 1-2 for the rest of the day?

3. Do I also get a discount for the fare if I show the Oyster Card?

Thank you so much!!!

anna

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,640 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Discount for Windsor Castle & national rail

2. You can't use your Oystercard to pay for this

3. Discounts only apply to train ticket holders

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Discount for Windsor Castle & national rail

1. Yes, go to Paddington station ticket desk, ask for combined ticket.

4. If you are staying nearer Waterloo, you can go to Windsor from there, also getting a combined ticket.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,360 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Discount for Windsor Castle & national rail

AFAIK the combined ticket for the castle is only available from SW Trains, which means travelling from Waterloo or another station on that line (Vauxhall, Clapham Junction, Richmond). No such ticket is listed on the Great Western website.

No discount for an Oyster card unless you already have a travelcard loaded on it..

Just buy it from the ticket office at the rail station on the day.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Discount for Windsor Castle & national rail

<<AFAIK the combined ticket for the castle is only available from SW Trains, which means travelling from Waterloo or another station on that line >> >>

Yep I thought there was one from Paddington as well but seems not, so disregard my point (1) in the thread above, however as you only save £3.50, if you are staying near Paddington it may not be worth your time to go to Waterloo.

5. Re: Discount for Windsor Castle & national rail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2010, 07:17