We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must see pubs with great English Ales and History

AZ
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Must see pubs with great English Ales and History

I am narrowing my list of pubs that I have to stop in to.

Ye Olde Mitre, Jerusalum Tavern are 2 that I have read good reviews of. The Bell sounds like a good one, along with the old Bell. Ye olde Cheshire Cheese, Gunmakers and the Angel are also looking to be on the list.

The George inn and Prospect of Whitby are not looking so good as the reviews are not all that, over priced and tourist traps seem to have sumed it up. Can anyone add to my list of pubs I need to visit? Good beer and History being what I am looking for.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,207 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must see pubs with great English Ales and History

It's been a while since I've been inside the Prospect of Whitby, but I think it's worth a look even if it's a bit touristy. If you walk from the pub back towards Wapping station you'll get a little of the flavour of what the area once was like. If you take the D3 and alight at Glamis Road near the bridge across Shadwell Basin you can look back and see the quite remarkably ugly brown brick 'modern luxury flats' that were built over the bones of what were once working docks.

tfl.gov.uk/tfl/…wapping-10913.pdf

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,631 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must see pubs with great English Ales and History

I tend to agree about The George. It's always crowded and if the weather is poor, everyone heads inside and there often isn't room to swing a cat. It is though the only surviving galleried coaching inn left in London and as such is worth a short (one pint?) visit. If you are in the area then head to The Market Porter in Borough Market. Less history but much better beer.

Sometimes you have to choose between history and beer quality. The good thing about the first two pubs you name is that they have both. I will add the Lamb & Flag (aka the Bucket of Blood!) near Covent garden and the Lamb in Bloomsbury as two more that are well worth searching out.

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,331 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must see pubs with great English Ales and History

Do you class Fuller's ales as being good beer? (I know I do, but some ale buffs don't like anything other than tiny, low output breweries). If so, The Victoria on Strathearn Place in Paddington / Bayswater is nice, they look after their London Pride and Discovery very well. Fuller's also do seasonal ales, you're just too late to have a pint of Jack Frost, but coming up in May they release Hock, then in June, Mister Harry gets an airing. The Honeydew ale is nice on a hot day too.

http://www.fullers.co.uk/rte.asp?id=109

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,954 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Must see pubs with great English Ales and History

riverthamessociety.org.uk/chairmanschallenge…

This topic comes up regularly, so a search should produce useful results.

The link above is a challenge to visit 40 riverside pubs - most of them historic or good or both.

Will you find the Mitre? If not, try the Citte of Yorke or the Blackfriars, for its art deco.

AZ
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Must see pubs with great English Ales and History

TravelerPlus and adamhornets, I guess you are right, I do need to make a visit to the places. We will be doing the 2 hour bus tour, to see the sights but this is what interests me. The places to eat, drink and be merry from times past. I will add the other 2 places to the list as well.

CanucksTraveller72, the Fullers I had in bottles both tasted good and were not wattery, had a nice body to them so I would like to try them in a cask more, fresh they have got to be better. I'll have to look up Hock.

peterscot, thanks for the other link not sure if I read that one. I used the search which is how I came up with a list of pubs but then fancy a pint nicked a few of em, but fancy a pint is comming from a locals perspective and my reasons for visiting are more than just beer. I cant believe I just said that, is there any reason other than the beer?? ummmmmmm beer.

"so many pubs, so little time, do your best:"

London, England
Level Contributor
8,540 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Must see pubs with great English Ales and History

Lots of good suggestions have been made. I agree with ravellerPlus about going to The Prospect of Whitby and just along the road you also have the Captain Kidd and Town of Ramsgate.

I also like The Flask at Highgate and the nearby Spaniards Inn in Hampstead.

At the end of the day, you are spoilt for choice.

Troy, Michigan, USA
Level Contributor
129 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Must see pubs with great English Ales and History

I would place a second vote for Blackfriars - an amazing interior! The Mitre is also a good choice, but can be very hard to find. Just look for people coming in and out of a very thin space between 2 brick walls, and you will find it.

AZ
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Must see pubs with great English Ales and History

Thank for those last 2 tips, they sound good as well. There are more good pubs to hit then I have time for. Thats what second trips to London are for!!!

"So many pubs, so little time, do your best"

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Must see pubs with great English Ales and History

Also, how about the Windsor Castle in Campden Hill Road. Or the Grenadier in Belgravia.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,286 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Must see pubs with great English Ales and History

Not a pub but you've got to include Gordon's Wine Bar for a glass of port. Villiers Street just up from Embankment Station.

http://gordonswinebar.com/default.php