We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London views

melbourne australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
London views

My husband and l will be in London in June.

Could anyone please suggest a park or natural feature where we can get beautiful views of the city and surrounds. We'll be staying in Kensington, near Earls Court Station.

Is the London Eye worthwhile as well?

Thanks

Dos

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,233 reviews
from US$125.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
439 reviews
from US$104.40*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,069 reviews
from US$148.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
628 reviews
from US$100.10*
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,605 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London views

If the weather behaves, take a walk up to Hampstead Heath and have a look at the city from above. The view from the Monument should be worth a look if you're willing to climb the stairs to the top.

A 'flight' on the Eye is certainly interesting, giving a very good overview of much of the city, but again it depends on whether or not the sky is clear so you can have a good look.

melbourne australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London views

Thanks for the advice, TravellerPlus.

Stairs won't be a problem (We're staying in Vernazza, Italy, before London so our legs will be used to stairs..)

Thanks also for your prompt reply.

Dos

space coast, fl
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London views

The views from a boat on the Thames, and most bridges have great views as well! TP already mentioned the others I had in mind.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London views

second vote for Hampstead heath,lovely views of London.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
514 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: London views

My favourite is standing in the middle of the millenium bridge and doing a slow 360 degree turn.

I always do it even if I am hurrying to a meeting !

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London views

The view from Hampstead Heath, actually Parliament Hill, over London is good in the early morning and evening. For the middle of the day Greenwich Park is robably better because you are looking away from the sun.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London views

Hi Dos,

Great question, we will there also in same area, staying at Base2stay near Earls Court station, late May.

STKIS

Canberra

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
755 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London views

Hampstead Heath is fantastic, it's one of my favourite parks, especially where it seems semi-wild. Primrose Hill is not bad as well for a view of London, although not particularly wild! You can get a tube to Regent's Park and walk through Regent's Park to the other side. Other wise St John's Wood, Chalk Farm or South Hampstead tubes are a little closer and about equidistant to each other.

I quite liked the London Eye, it gives you a good perspective of London. Another good view is from the cafe/restaurant on the top level of the Tate Modern Gallery. You used to be able to sit & have a glass of wine only, although they don't necessarily advertise the fact.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
524 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London views

Good views from Kenwood House pergola (Hampstead Heath),

Primrose Hill,

Greenwich and view from London Citibank (Canary Wharf).

Somerset House,

Babylon Kensington Roof Top Gardens

Vertigo42,

London Eye,

Hilton Windows bar,

Skyline,

Oxo,

London Tate,

National Gallery

melbourne australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London views

What can I say?

Thanks a million times over to all of you for your suggestions. I'll be writing them down and aim to visit many of them.

Much appreciated,

Dos