We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gatwick Express vs Southern Rail to Victoria

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wexford, Ireland
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Gatwick Express vs Southern Rail to Victoria

Can I ask what is the difference with above transports to Victoria station apart from price? The Gatwick Express is £53.60 return for 2 Adults whereas I can get Southern Rail for £12.00 return for booking specific times. Its probably a no-brainer, but just wondering whats the big difference? Is it far from departure lounge in Gatwick airport to railway station? Also, I believe the day we are arriving is the London marathon. Will there be any restrictions to get into the city? Thanks.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gatwick Express vs Southern Rail to Victoria

The differences are; the Gatwick Express is exactly that, i.e. non-stopping and it takes 30 mins to get into London - and you're pretty much guaranteed a seat. The other, 'local' services take a little longer - perhaps 10/15 more - and don't go into Victoria (London Bridge, Blackfriars, City, Farringdon and St Pancras). Depending on the time you arrive, these trains are more likely to be packed and you'll spend the 45 minutes with your nose stuck in somebody's armpit!

Alta, Norway
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Gatwick Express vs Southern Rail to Victoria

Southern Rail DOES go to/from Victoria Station.

Wexford, Ireland
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gatwick Express vs Southern Rail to Victoria

Thanks Zippylondon. We will be arriving about 10am on a Sunday morning and returning on Wednesday afternoon about 3pm. On Southern Rails website, it says it goes to Victoria Station. Maybe, I'm reading it wrong. Are you sure they don't stop there? I just think its a massive price difference for The Express. Would be nice to have the luxury, but on a v tight budget at the moment.

Wexford, Ireland
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gatwick Express vs Southern Rail to Victoria

Thanks Elin for that. Have you travelled with Southern Rail before?

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gatwick Express vs Southern Rail to Victoria

To confirm that the Southern trains run into Victoria and usually have a couple of intermediate stops so the journey takes about 10 minutes longer. At the time you are travelling there shold be no difficulty getting a seat. The trains from Gatwck to London Bridge are run by yet another company, First Capital Connect.

The train services to London will not be disrupted by the Marathon, nor will the Underground within London to any great extent (except for Sunday engineering work). However, some bus services in central London will be..

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
293 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gatwick Express vs Southern Rail to Victoria

We have taken the Southern train twice from Victoria tube/coach station to Gatwick South Terminal. There were two or three short stops and total travel time was 40-45 minutes on weekday mornings. About two-thirds of the seats were occupied.

Our single ticket cost six pounds advance purchase each.

Schuttle bus transfer to the north terminal took about five minutes.

In the future we plan to use Southern again.

Edited: 10 April 2010, 20:15
Wexford, Ireland
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gatwick Express vs Southern Rail to Victoria

Thanks a million for all your help. Just booked The Southern Train online. Letsgo000, when you say shuttlebus transfer-I take it the train station is located at the north terminal and the airport run the shuttlebus complimentary. First time to use Gatwick. Sorry all the questions. Thanks.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,821 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Gatwick Express vs Southern Rail to Victoria

The train station is attached to the South terminal so if you're arriving at the North terminal you'll need to get the shuttle bus to the south terminal to catch the train.

9. Re: Gatwick Express vs Southern Rail to Victoria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 April 2010, 22:05
Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
293 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gatwick Express vs Southern Rail to Victoria

The Gatwick shuttle bus between north and south terminals is free.

For each time we have transferred, when one bus fills (including inside racks for luggage) there has always been at least one or two other busses so there is no wait to catch the next shuttle.