We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help with postcodes

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
262 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
help with postcodes

Hi,

I just need a bit of help figuring out London postcodes. I want to book a car service from the airport and the car website needs me to put in the postcode of my accommodation. It has fixed choice options but my postcode doesn't match any of the options exactly. The postcode for the hotel is SW 1V3. Is my closest match SW1 or SW4 (1V is 4 in roman numerals)? Or am i on the wrong track altogether?! Help would be greatly appreciated thanks!

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help with postcodes

I doubt even the Romans use Roman numerals in their postcodes, LOL. Postcodes are significant reading from left to right, so SW1 is what you want.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,917 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help with postcodes

And they are not necessarily contiguous. So SW2 need not be next door to SW1.

postcodes are this format -

AANN NAA

where "A" is a letter, and "N" is a number.

The first AA, is the town or London area, eg SO for Southhampton, or B for Birmingham or WC for West Central.

The second AA is the part of the street the building is in. The house number is needed for complete accuracy. In other words, several properties may share the same postcode.

Bergen
Level Contributor
84 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help with postcodes

"I doubt even the Romans use Roman numerals in their postcodes, LOL. "

They didn't have the arbic numerals, so they had to if they used postcodes.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Brighton, Nice
Level Contributor
6,227 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help with postcodes

The postcode you've given is incomplete. I think it's been copied incorrectly - can you tell us which hotel you're staying at? We can then provide the correct postcode.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
290 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help with postcodes

Peterscot is correct about the formal of postcodes is normally AANN NAA, but in London they can have an extra letter at the end of the first section... for example the postcode of the Park Plaza Victoria is SW1V 1EQ, and the Raddison Edwardian Berkshire is W1C 1BY.

Sounds like the postcode you have for your hotel is incomplete: its probably SW1V 3?? I would have thought that just the SW1 would be enough for the taxi company - but you should be able to find the full postcode of your hotel on its website.

Edited: 11 April 2010, 08:55
Bergen
Level Contributor
84 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help with postcodes

Why do you need a car service?

Train/tube should be adequate if you don't hav special needs or loads of luggage.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: help with postcodes

Perhaps they don't *need* one, they might just fancy a smooth door to door journey at the end of a long flight. But yes, as Sam says if money is an issue, for a little inconvenience, tube will be cheaper.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
262 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: help with postcodes

Thanks for all the help! Its so great to have all those travel questions answered that you don't know who to ask!

I'm getting a car service because ill be travelling with my husband, his parents and my 1 year old and we will have loads of luggage (including a stroller) so we figured the best way to get to our hotel after a 14 hour plane ride would be to get a door to door car service that can carry all our luggage and have a baby seat for my son.

Thanks again!

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: help with postcodes

The London streets that have a post code starting "SW1V 3" (with two additional letters thereafter) are:

Aylesford Street

Balniel Gate

Balvaird Place

Bessborough Place

Buonaparte Mews

Churchill Gardens

Claverton Street

Dolphin Square

Grosvenor Road

Johnsons Place

Lindsay Square

Lupus Street

Paxton Terrace

Ranelagh Road

St Georges Square

St Georges Square Mews

Telford Terrace

Westmoreland Terrace

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cavelossim
Level Contributor
4,004 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: help with postcodes

At the risk of going slightly off topic from the original post, we worked out late one evening the logic to London postcodes in response to a question from a friend's new Cuban husband.

It's alphabetical ... E1=Aldgate, E2=Bethnal Green, E3=Bow, E4=Chingford, E5=Clapton, E6=East Ham, E7=Forest Gate, E8=Hackney, E9=Homerton, E10=Leyton, E11=Leytonstone etc.

It makes for a good late night game at the end of a supper party - SE postcodes were the most difficult and we did have to resort to the A-Z!!