We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Difference between Kensington and high street kensington

california
Level Contributor
818 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Difference between Kensington and high street kensington

Hi, We are planning on a trip to London this July. We were there August last year and enjoyed it so much that we have to go back. We stayed at ' Tara Copthorne' at High street kensington. Hotel was just so so but location was really great. So very close to the tube and stores. If I remenber correctly, there was another Kensington station. Is there a difference between these 2 locations? Thanks!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,789 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Difference between Kensington and high street kensington

There's also South Kensington, West Kensington and Kensington (Olympia).

High Street Kensington is the place you want for shops and restaurants, if your budget can afford it.

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Difference between Kensington and high street kensington

Our favorite: convenient to less expensive restaurants, quick coffee, and even a full Waitrose supermarket is Gloucester Rd station S. Kensington.

Near enough to walk to higher end shopping of Kensington High St or the V & A. I grab my coffee every morning and take a brisk walk to Kens.Gardens//Hyde Park .Also direct Tube to LHR.

Edited: 11 April 2010, 12:43
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Difference between Kensington and high street kensington

When looking at hotels, you'll find many of them will stretch the Kensington locale a bit. Many times you will also see hotels in Earls Court described as being in Kensington. So really, you've got High Street Kensington, South Kensington, Gloucester Road and Earls Court.. To a lesser extent, there's also Kensington Olympia (very limited service) and West Kensington, but that's further out and not exactly central.

We've stayed at the Copthorne Tara before. What I really liked about the hotel, besides the location, was that you get an empty refrigerator in the room, as opposed to a stocked and booby-trapped mini-bar that charges you if you even move an item. I like being able to have a few beverages on chill and milk for my morning tea. : )

california
Level Contributor
818 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Difference between Kensington and high street kensington

Thanks for your feedback. It is true about the empty refrigerator at Copthorne Tara that gives us more option to place food we bought without being charged.

I was surprised that there are more than two kensington area.

So, am I right to assume that either High street kensington or south kensington is okay to book our stay in terms of convenience.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,605 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Difference between Kensington and high street kensington

Kensington High Street and South Ken are both very nice neighbourhoods, mostly residential with beautiful houses and flats and enough shops and services to keep those lucky enough to live there happy.

One thing about Kensington High Street is that despite the Underground station in the middle of things, there are a handful of buses running along the High Street to and from Knightsbridge, Hyde Park Corner and beyond. The buses may be a better choice of transport for some destinations, depending on where you'd like to go. South Ken station is well served by buses as well as three Underground lines.

But as kayb said some properties stretch the locale a bit; to that end, where are you thinking of booking?

california
Level Contributor
818 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Difference between Kensington and high street kensington

I am not sure yet. We stayed at Tara Copthorne last year at High street kensington and the location was great. As you said there's the tube and the buses. We specially like the fact that the stairs to take the train is not steep as we carried our luggage down to take the train on our way to Brugge.The only thing is the housekeeping in the room.I didn't realize that they didn't change my pillow case from the previous occupant till our 3rd night. Anyway, I told myself that I will definitely bring a silk sleep sack next time.

We plan to take a daytrip to Bath and hopefully get to watch a play in London this time. I am not sure if we'll do the windsor castle or stonehenge as of now.

Thanks.

Illinois
Level Contributor
638 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Difference between Kensington and high street kensington

I know what you mean about the Copthorne Tara. I stayed there two weeks ago (I had stayed there once before) and am not sure I'd go back. I LOVE the location--Kensington is my favorite place to stay in London--but the hotel seemed to have gotten even shabbier (if that's possible) since my first time there. BUT, I got the room through Priceline, so I kept telling myself that I was getting what I paid for. You just have to weigh price and location and remember that you won't be spending much time in your room anyway.

Dublin
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Difference between Kensington and high street kensington

I also agree about the Copthorne Tara. I've stayed there several times. And with each visit, the place has disimproved. So much so that I would not stay there again.

As regards the South Kensington/High Street Kensington debate, High Street is better for shops. But South Kensington is a lovely area, convenient to many museums, replete with some of London's finest coffee bars (where you can sit outside and have breakfast on the fine days in April, May and June), and with the park-like feeling that simply encourages you to take evening strolls around it. South Ken also boasts one of the finest Art Nouveaux buildings in London, the old Michelin garage (now a restaurant).

9. Re: Difference between Kensington and high street kensington

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2010, 06:19