We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with locations

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Help with locations

We are a mature couple arriving Heathrow late on 8th June 2010.

We would like to see as much of London as possible and plan to walk/bus using the London drum 3 day itinerary as a guide.

A relative will join us for the theatre on the evening 11th and we will leave London after the show from St Pancras.

Some help and advice about the most convenient/best value location to stay and base ourselves. Immediately around St. Pancras seems overpriced. Is this convenient for sightseeing? Can we wait and book 'last minute' in June?

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with locations

The area south of St Pancras (Bloomsbury) is pleasant and well situated for some sight-seeing. The area north of St Pancras is rather grittier and less suited to a sightseer.

As well as Bloomsbury, you might look at Fitzrovia (west of Bloomsbury, the other side of Tottenham Court Road) or Covent Garden & Holborn (south of Bloomsbury).

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with locations

If you feel that the St Pancras area is over priced it might be helpful if you gave an indication of your price expectations and what type of accommodation you have been looking for in that area.

London in June will be busy. You may be lucky with a last minute booking, but I probably wouldn't risk it if I wanted a reasonable choice

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with locations

What's in the "London drum" itinerary that you will be wanting to see?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with locations

Tks will look in those areas - difficult to know what is close to transport - particularly given the late night arrival and departure. I am assuming we will need to be near the 'tube'.

www.londondrum.com has some walking itineraries which seem to encompass most of london - love to hear what you think.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with locations

Most parts of central London are near the tube. You can go to google maps for a detailed look at the area around anywhere you are interested in, or ask on here.

As I said, if you let us know your budget someone can tell you whether it is realistic for the area you are interested in.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with locations

We had thought 100 - 150 euro per night for a reasonable location including breakfast and en-suite plus of course, good trip advisor reviews! convenient for our late arrival from which to sightsee for three days.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with locations

I've just had a look at the website... if you follow the 3 day itinerary you will see the outside of many places (and do a lot of walking). I don't think that it gives you much time to look inside , nor much advice on the best time to get to various places to avoid queues etc.

It reads like a walk prepared by someone looking at a map!

...we don't use the euro in the UK, it's still the £.

Edited: 11 April 2010, 15:03
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with locations

OOps sori but a lot of the booking sights default to euros - how about 75 - 100 pound per night ??

Tks for the advice on the londondrum - I guess we could use that to plan which direction to head each day and be clear about what we want to see. Perhaps it would help because we would not be doubling back on ourselves. Or is there a better way?

I have been told to buy an 'oyster card' for transport.

Can we pre purchase entrance tickets and will they 'skip the queue'?

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with locations

I agree on the London Drum walking tours. They sound exhausting (especially three days in a row) and there is no way you'd actually get to spend any time actually touring anything. Walking around London is great, but you'll also be spending a lot of time on your feet anyway. So don't be afraid to plan in some bus or tube transport to get around. We've found London busses to be our feets' best friend!! : )

The itineraries could be used to geographically group things together. Then, pick the sites you want to see the most and kind of plan your days around that.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,170 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with locations

Most people seem to like London Walks - I have done one or two myself and thought they were good value.

http://www.walks.com/