We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London in 1 Day - is this a good itinerary ?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
676 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
London in 1 Day - is this a good itinerary ?

I only have 1 full day. I know this plan is ambitious but I will try it, please comment.

7.00 am - start from Bayswater(since I wake there) to Hyde Park and see Speaker's Corner to Kesington Palace - Royal Albert Hall(check any evening ticket suitable)(Breakfast somewhere along) tube to British Museum.

10.00 am - British Museum(enter) - tube to Buckingham Palace

11.30 am - Buckingham Palace(Changing of Guards, likely to miss if I wish to stay longer in Bristish Museum)

Noon - Westminster - Paul Street - Whitehall Rd - Tralfalgar Square - Conventry Street - Picadilly Circus - National Gallery/Leicester Square - Chinatown - Convent Garden(Lunch somewhere along)

3 pm - Cross Waterloo Bridge - London Eye - stroll South Bank - cross Backriars Bridge to St Paul's

5 pm - St Paul's(Saturday Mass - free entrance ?)

6 pm - Tower of London - cross Tower Bridge - (dinner where ?) -

7.30 pm - Tate Modern(enter)(since it close late on Saturday)

9 pm - Tube back to Bayswater to get luggage - where to go for the night before Earls Court? Maybe Picadilly Circus or Oxford - tube to Earls Court

Midnight - must arrive Earls Court/West Brompton(Easybus Station)

I know it's rush but I will enter only British Museum, Tate Modern & St Paul's, all other attractions will only be outside views.

I will take 5 tube rides, all others by foot.

From Tower Bridge to Tate Modern, which road/streets will be more interesting ?

Have I missed anywhere more important ? Which place shall I skip if I am short of time ?

Thanks for your help.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London in 1 Day - is this a good itinerary ?

whew! you will mostly see outsides of places,nothing in depth. Conventry street is not a street in London,do you mean covent garden? Blackfriars' bridge is the name you are looking for. both galleries you mention will also need just a quick look,have a look at their websites to see if there are any special exhibits going on. as you said,a few hours is all you can do in both places. I could spend several days in all the museums. unless you are there on a Sunday,not much will be going on at Speaker's corner. you might want to take a look at a travel guide or two and read reviews here before you go,so you can narrow down what you really want to see and what you can skip.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London in 1 Day - is this a good itinerary ?

If you're wanting to get a general overview of London and see all the major sights, you might want to consider one of the hop on/off bus tours.

http://www.theoriginaltour.com/

www.bigbustours.com/eng/london/default.aspx

It might be a better use of time.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
676 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London in 1 Day - is this a good itinerary ?

Hi,

Thank you for the replies. I found all those places from guidebooks.

Ya, it's very rush but I will come back another day to enter the Abbey, 2 Palaces and London Tower next time.

Ok, I guess I will skip Speaker's Coner. Mine is a Saturday.

Is there much to see in Hyde Park ? If not, it 's even shorter distance if I walk straight south from Bayswater through Kensington Garden to Royal Albert Hall.

I prefer to have total freedom of walking and stop anywhere I like instead of being in a vehicle.

Twickenham, UK
Level Contributor
39 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London in 1 Day - is this a good itinerary ?

Crikey

Thats made me tired just reading your itinerary. If I were you I would read up a bit more on the sites and prioritise what you would like to see and concentrate on those things.

Regards

Andrea

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
19,840 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London in 1 Day - is this a good itinerary ?

"I prefer to have total freedom of walking and stop anywhere I like instead of being in a vehicle."

But you are electing to take five trips on the underground, where you will see nothing. At least with a hop-on hop-off bus you will see London, and you have the freedom to get off wherever you want. (and walk!)

I agree with other posters--scale it down. This is like trying to gulp down a 4 course meal in 15 minutes.

If it were me, I'd lose Kensington Palace, Hyde Park, and the museums (since you won't have any quality time in them).

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London in 1 Day - is this a good itinerary ?

London is a great city for walking, but... it is a very large city and the tourist sites are spread out all over. I think you'll have to compromise one way or the other. Either trim down your "must-see" list to a few things, or do something like the hop on/off bus tour that will cover a lot of ground in a shorter time.

This site might help give you an idea of walking times and distances: www.walkit.com

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
425 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London in 1 Day - is this a good itinerary ?

That is a lot whole lot of things to see in one day. I assume you are based near Marble Arch?

I'd give a miss to: Leicester Square, Changing of the Guard.

I'd take the bus as much as possible - at least you don't miss any sights on the way and it's much cheaper.

Here's my two cents:

Hyde Park (Lancaster Gate + Italian Gardens, Kensington Palace) Royal Albert Hall + Albert Memorial. Quick visit to Harrods. Stop at Wellington Arch. Buckingham Palace. If you don't want to see Harrods nor the Arch, hop on the bus 52 at stop K2* and alight at Bredesen Place.

Westminster Abbey + Big Ben + London Eye. Trafalgar Square. National Gallery.

My suggestion would be to get some take away from Prêt-à-manger (my favorite) on Cockspur St and eat in Trafalgar Square if the weather is nice or eat at the National Gallery Cafe. There is a Tesco Express in front of Trafalgar Square so maybe grab a snack for later in the afternoon there.

Walk through Covent Garden towards the British Museum. Do not miss Neal's Yard (very quaint) on your way. After museum, hop on the tube at Tottenham Court Rd and head to St.Paul's. You should be in time for the 5PM evensong.

St.Pauls, cross the Millenium Bridge to the Tate Modern. Take some time to see Shakespeare's Globe. Walk to Tower Bridge for excellent views of Tower of London and of course the Bridge.

Hop on the bus route 1 at stop BJ and head back to Covent Garden for dinner. There are dozens of great restaurants and pubs in the area. Avoid anything that boasts serving Angus/Aberdeen steak. Maybe try the Cambridge pub on Charing Cross Rd for some authentic fish & chips.

Then walk through Chinatown and up to Piccadilly Circus for some evening photos. Hop on bus route 94 from stop J and get off at Marble Arch (again, is your hotel really in that area? Let me know).

That's about it. Enjoy :)

*If you need further explanation on bus routes systems and stops, do not hesitate to ask.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
676 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London in 1 Day - is this a good itinerary ?

Thank you very much, you are all marvelouse, mawie49 especially.

mawie, I will follow your suggestion, it's close to my original except that Chinatown part is split to the night, and I still get to enter British Museum, Tate Modern and National Gallery ?

I am staying at Baywater Station's nearby Smart Hyde Park View at 11 Craven Hill Garden.(I hope to get luggage back at the night and go to Hammerstein area to spend the last 1 or 2 hours before going to my bus station as suggested to me in another thread of mine)

I usually won't linger too long in any place, a few photos will do and food is is quick and cheap for me. Rick Steves mentioned the St Martin In-the-Fields and some restaurants in Panton Street that are cheap.

Will I have time to take a quick shower before I enter St Paul's at 5 pm at a nearby Fitness First Club ?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
676 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London in 1 Day - is this a good itinerary ?

mawie49,

According to your plan:

1) I will be taking buses 3 times and tube once, all the rest walking, isn't it ?

2) Will I get to enter National Gallery ? How much time will I have for National Gallery, British Museum, Tate Modern, and St Paul's ?

3) Is Tower Bridge and Tower of London after St Paul's and before tate Modern ?

4)Do you mean that if I go for Harrods and the Arch, then no need for the bus and just walk to Westminster ?

6) What time will I be expected to finish at Piccadilly Circus ?

7) I am free all night until my bus time at Earl Courts/Brompton West Station about midnight, any suggestion before ? Can I buy you a drink :-)

I understand National Gallery close late, if I don't have enough to visit earlier, shall I go there late ?

8) Will I have time for weekend street market at Portobello and the Oxford, Caring(?) Cross, and Regent Street areas ?

9) Do I need to buy any transport pass or just pay trip by trip ?

I know I have been asking a lot.

Thank you very much again.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
425 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London in 1 Day - is this a good itinerary ?

Let me write you a little more detailled itinerary, I'll get back to you very soon (kind of at work at the moment).