We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mexican Near Savoy Theatre

Edinburgh, Scotland
4 posts
Save Topic
Mexican Near Savoy Theatre

Hi

My Husband and I are coming to London on Friday 14th May - Sunday 16th May to celebrate our Anniversary.

We are going to Marcus Wareing for dinner on the Friday evening and are hoping for a Mexican Meal on the Saturday night.

We are going to see Legally Blonde the musical at the Savoy theatre on the saturday evening and I was wondering if you had any recommendations for a Mexican or any other nice restaurants in the area ? Budget around £30 pp for 2 courses and a drink.

Thanks

Leah

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,234 reviews
from US$126.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
441 reviews
from US$104.80*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,073 reviews
from US$148.70*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
628 reviews
from US$100.50*
Bergen
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mexican Near Savoy Theatre

This might help:

http://www.london-eating.co.uk/

Edited: 02 May 2010, 16:11
San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
for San Miguel de Allende, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast
Level Contributor
6,270 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mexican Near Savoy Theatre

The only ones I'd consider are Mestizo and Green and Red but neither is close to the Savoy. The ones in Covent Garden are TexMex and rubbish.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
524 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mexican Near Savoy Theatre

Wahaca, la Perla and Cafe Pacifico( sister restuarants)

http://www.cafepacifico-laperla.com/lpco.html

Edinburgh, Scotland
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mexican Near Savoy Theatre

Thanks for the recommendations - i'll check them out.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,359 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mexican Near Savoy Theatre

There's also Texas Embassy around Trafalgar Square. It's not too bad - but not great.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mexican Near Savoy Theatre

Never having been to either place, can someone explain the difference between Mexican and Tex-Mex.

Thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,622 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mexican Near Savoy Theatre

Mexico is a big country, and the food varies from state to state and the availability of ingredients. Guerrero, on the coast, is going to have a different focus on what's local than in Sonora, inland and further north.

Tex Mex food is - at least in my experience - based more on Sonoran food: enchiladas, tamales, tacos, burros, chiles rellenos, frijoles refritos, black beans and more, as well as lots of green (tomatillo based) and red (tomatoes included) sauces. Flour and corn tortillas are a staple, with corn tortillas often served as a side dish along with a main. Menudo is a popular dish made at weekends (a number of restos in PHX have signs saying 'Saturday Only!'), often sold in bulk by restos, inviting customers to bring their own containers.

When this type of food moves north over the US border the standard becomes that many dishes are served with lots of shredded iceberg lettuce (a nice contrast to the sauced and hot from the oven item) and melted cheese on top. Usually not good for the arteries but very tasty.

Good quality Sonoran style food is wonderful, but the quality of the ingredients is all. My favourite hole in the wall in PHX makes a complex red sauce, I'm sure they roast the red chiles to give it a richer flavour, and most others pale in comparison.

It's rather like fish and chips. The fillets fried in London are decent, but never quite the same as on the coast, where the fish may be flappingly fresh.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,236 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mexican Near Savoy Theatre

The key to understanding the difference between Tex-Mex and Mexican is the word "Tex." This means this is Texas cuisine, influenced by, but not true, Mexican cuisine.

Examples of Tex-Mex are chili con carne, chili con queso, chili gravy, and fajitas. Huge platters of food are also Tex-Mex.

I don't recommend the Texas Embassy.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mexican Near Savoy Theatre

>> melted cheese on top. Usually not good for the arteries but very tasty. <<

Sounds like the last meal I ate at the Texas Embassy

Edinburgh, Scotland
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Mexican Near Savoy Theatre

Thanks again - don't mind either Tex Mex or proper Mexican so we are thinking about going to Wahaca - sounds quite nice and it is close by.

Thanks for all you help