We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do around London in the Evening

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Buderim, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
What to do around London in the Evening

Hi there

I will be in London initially from 11 May to 14 May 2010, staying at The Abbey Court Motel, Sussex Gardens, Hyde Park - I think Hyde Park is pretty close - how long does it take to walk around Hyde Park and do they have carriage rides around it at all? What are some ideas to do at night time around this area - or is this area pretty close to other areas where there are things to do and how should we travel - walk (is that safe at night time) or bus? I will be travelling with my 18 year old daughter.

Thanks in advance.

Bronwyn

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,293 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do around London in the Evening

Staying in Sussex Gardens you can take the No.15 bus in Edgware Road towards Marble Arch and Hyde park, the No.15 bus also travels by many of the places of interest.

Information on London Public transport and travel cards, which you can obtain from Edgeware Road and Paddington underground stations www.tfl.gov.uk and for wandering around London www.londonforfree.net/index.php

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do around London in the Evening

Sussex Gardens is a really central area from where you can walk to loads of places. Hyde Park is within spitting distance and although there are no carriage rides (not to my knowledge anyway) it's easy enough to get around. You could spend days wandering around the park; it's lovely. From the lido to the Dianna memorial to the Serpentine...the list goes on - see http://www.royalparks.org.uk/parks/hyde_park/

Heading west (max 10 minute walk) you've got Notting Hill and all that has to offer such as Portobello market and the numerous cafes and restaurants - a little further (if you are into shopping) you've got Westfield mall - which is still shiny and new - see http://uk.westfield.com/london/

Heading East you have Edgeware Rd with its numerous Lebanese cafes and restaurants and Oxford Street -London's principal shopping street.

There's LOADS to do - and on your doorstep. Enjoy.

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,322 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do around London in the Evening

"how long does it take to walk around Hyde Park"

A long time. It's 1.7 miles across (West to East) including the seperately named Kensington Gardens (which in physical reality are just part of Hyde Park) so takes about an hour to cross in that direction at strolling pace, At its' shortest point (North to South) it's quicker, taking about 15-20 mins to cross. You can spend a long time wandering and exploring, I've walked around it for 6 years and I'm still discovering new corners.

"(is that safe at night time)"

Yes, all the areas that tourists will find themselves in are safe at night, London's one of the safest world cities. There are bad areas, but you have to travel outside of the centre to some residential areas to find them... you can't really stumble into them by accident.

"and do they have carriage rides around it at all?"

No.

"What are some ideas to do at night time around this area"

Queensway is a lively street with places to eat and drink, there's a smallish shopping mall called Whiteley's at the bottom end. A tube ride will get you to the West End (Soho and Covent Garden are 2 good areas to explore) within 10 minutes. Getting hold of a guidebook will help you to see what else is in your immediate surrounds that will appeal to you in particular.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do around London in the Evening

You could also take one of the London Walks (www.walks.com). With easy tube and bus access to your hotel, you really aren't limited to just the immediate area.

Also, an after dark stroll along the Thames around Westminster is a beautiful site - with Big Ben/Parliament, London Eye all lit up.

Buderim, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do around London in the Evening

Thank you so much for these replies. I am sure I will have lots to do in the evenings now. Just another question - how far away are the closest movie cinemas?

Bronwyn

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
11,936 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do around London in the Evening

There is a multi screen cinema in the Whiteley centre. There are also two art cinemas in Notting HIll Gate.

Pietarsaari, Finland
Level Contributor
48 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do around London in the Evening

There's one cinema in Edgware Road just near the Marble Arch tube station.

Essex
Level Contributor
26,728 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do around London in the Evening

Cinema is great, don't get me wrong, but why go to the Ciinema when you are in London?? This is one of the centres of WORLD CLASS Theatre, if not THE centre!! You can access 'theatreland' ie the West-End easily by tube or bus from your lodging and you will be safe.

Hyde Park will close in the evenings, you will not be able to go in there.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,570 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do around London in the Evening

BTW, it doesn't really start to get dark until about 9 pm, the tube rund to around midnight and if the weather is pleasant, lots of people will be about, both on the pavements and on the underground.

London in the evening in spring and summer and autumn in lovely.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,116 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do around London in the Evening

I agree with kayb95--go down to Westminster and admire the Abbey and Ben after dark, then cross the bridge for the view of Parliament. The London Eye is right there as well--you could ltake a sunset trip as I think it runs until 8.30 or 9. And don't worry about sticking to your doorstep--as Leagle said, it will be quite light and I've always felt perfectly safe in central London.

You CAN go horseback riding in Hyde Park, if your budget permits! One stable is just around the corner from Sussex Gardens, in Bath Mews. You might see the horses walking over in the morning if you're out early (I have no idea where they sleep).