We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long is it from London to Bath by train?

california
Level Contributor
818 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How long is it from London to Bath by train?

Hi, I wonder how long is it from London to Bath by train? Does it cost a lot which is why some post advise to book it 6 weeks before trip?

Can we also do it by bus? Thanks

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long is it from London to Bath by train?

http://www.thetrainline.com/buytickets/?

this will answer your questions. the trip takes 1.30mins.

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,497 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long is it from London to Bath by train?

Hi

Most of the trains down to Bath depart London Paddington and take about 90 minutes. There are usually 2 departures/hour. The train operator is First Great Western www.fgw.co.uk for timetable and fares.

Ticket pricing sounds complicated, but don't let it worry you too much. Put simply, you will nearly always pay more for the priviledge of just turning up to catch your train on the day (these are the "standard" tickets - 1st/std class - and [super]off-peak tickets).

Then there are pre-bookable only tickets called "ADVANCE" tickets.

These are priced like budget airline flights; a limited number of tickets are available for each train in each price band (which is why we often recommend that visitors mark their calendars to buy these bargains when they are released 12 weeks in advance of the date they are valid).

I've just pulled up some ticket options for July:

Cheapest ADVANCE single - GBP9.50 (then rising to £14.50, £17.00, £19.50)

Compare this with turn up and travel on the day:

GBP77 single (£28.50 if you travel off-peak)

GBP59 off-peak return (you can use this on the 8:30am departure)

Travelling anytime GBP154 (yes, really!).

It is worth playing around with journey times and days to uncover the cheap fares if you can be flexible (and occaisionally it is cheaper to travel 1st class if the cheap standard class tickets have been grabbed)

You also asked about buses (best to refer to them as "coaches" as people tend to think of buses for short journeys). National Express Coaches run a service down to Bath, but it entails several stops (Heathrow, Reading, Chippenham....) and takes 3+ hours. On the plus side, they were offering me tickets for GBP5 when I checked the same date in July!

Hope this is enough detail.

california
Level Contributor
818 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: How long is it from London to Bath by train?

Hi sueduncBath, GBP154 for travelling anytime ticket to Bath! It tells me that once I have the exact travel schedule dates , I really need to book in advance. Thanks!

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How long is it from London to Bath by train?

Don't forget those 'off peak' tickets can be bought on the day at the same price

Salem NH
Level Contributor
17 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long is it from London to Bath by train?

My wife and I are planning on visiting the UK in late September 2010. I'd like to do as much as possible by train. Here my question setting off from London then on to Salisbury, then Bath can I get a train from Bath to Edinburgh or would it be best to go back to London since I'm sure there are more frequent trains?

Any suggestion for a quintessentially British quaint village somewhere near Bath/Salisbury?

Last is a BrtRail pass a good idea since we will be spending @ 8 days?

Thanks & best regards,

Frank & Peg

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,331 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How long is it from London to Bath by train?

"can I get a train from Bath to Edinburgh or would it be best to go back to London since I'm sure there are more frequent trains?"

Probably best to go back to London to catch the frequent direct express trains to Edinburgh... Bath direct to Edinburgh isn't possible... it can be done, but requires at least 2, sometimes 3 changes.

"Any suggestion for a quintessentially British quaint village somewhere near Bath/Salisbury?"

Best to ask local expert SueDuncBath, I don't know the area well.

"is a BrtRail pass a good idea since we will be spending @ 8 days?"

I'm not sure, Railtraveller would know that one for sure.

This is where you're better off starting your own thread of questions... more people see it. At the moment (with 5 replies) many will think this thread has been answered and won't open it.

Salem NH
Level Contributor
17 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How long is it from London to Bath by train?

Thanks for pointing us in the right direction!

8. Re: How long is it from London to Bath by train?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 November 2010, 04:17