We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your opinions, please? (Locations, Flights, Trips Out)

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
208 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Your opinions, please? (Locations, Flights, Trips Out)

We've been considering a family vacation to London for 10 -14 days in mid-late July, and I'm wondering if anyone has any information or thoughts on the following two flats available through Ivy Lettings:

1. ivylettings.com/properties/…clink-street

2. ivylettings.com/properties/city-tower-bridge…

Both flats would probably work well for our family (2 adults and 2 teens), but we're unsure about their locations, especially in terms of their proximity to convenient transportation. We're also wondering about the neighborhood noise levels -- we're not persnickety in the least, except we would prefer a place that is quiet enough to allow for good/easy sleeping between, say, 11 pm - 7 am.

If anyone can share information about the flats, Ivy Lettings, the neighborhoods, transportation, etc. -- good and bad -- we'd very much appreciate hearing from you.

Also, we're wondering whether now is the time to pull the trigger on tickets from Los Angeles to London. We've been watching prices since January, and while the prices seem to have gone down quite a bit lately for June, they've only dropped a little for July (e.g., TA's showing lowest rates for July at around 1100 - 1200 pounds sterling (including all taxes, etc.). Does anyone have any opinions whether we should book now, or wait just a little while longer?

Finally, we're wondering about using some of our days to visit Paris. I'd be very happy to stay in London the entire trip, but dear husband would like to divide our time between London and Paris. If we limit our trip to 10 days, should we forget about visiting Paris for a couple of days?

Thanks very much!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,072 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Your opinions, please? (Locations, Flights, Trips Out)

IvyLettings have received good reviews here at TALF, and I'd certainly give them a go. The properties you're considering are south of the river, with the Clink Street flat very near Borough Market and the South Bank walk - nice; I'm not that familiar with Borough High Street so can't comment.

There are a great many buses across London Bridge as an adjunct to the Underground from London Bridge station, and the idea of a riverside flat makes me want to choose Clink Street just for that. Others might have a bit more inside information, though, so let's see what they have to say.

I don't think air fares are going to drop much more for summer travel, to be honest. The airlines will have examined their loads and yields from Q1, and if sales were to be put in place I think we would have seen them by now. I booked YVR-LHR for June and July a few days ago and wanted to weep at the fare, so brace yourself and buy now if your dates are firm.

A couple of days in Paris is certainly doable, but you should check fares at www.eurostar.com now for travel in July. Remember that Mondays and Tuesdays may be closing days for some sights and attractions in Paris so choose your travel days carefully lest you be disappointed.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
208 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Your opinions, please? (Locations, Flights, Trips Out)

Edit: of course, in referring to TA's lowest airfares from Los Angeles to London in July, I meant to say "$1100 - $1200," not "1100 - 1200 pounds sterling." !!!

And thank you, TravellerPlus, for your very helpful comments. As you suggest, I'm waiting and hoping for additional input from those in the know!

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,779 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Your opinions, please? (Locations, Flights, Trips Out)

I'm guessing that the Clink Street flat would be considerably quieter as Borough High Street is a wider, much busier road. (I've just walked through Clink Street as the South Bank Path takes a short diversion along the street at that point.) I do remember there's a supermarket on Borough High Street probably quite close to that flat, but it wouldn't be far from Clink Street either. (Although the Borough Market, when open, will supply your wildest gastronomic dreams.)

Traveller Plus' advice on airfares is always sound and well-informed. My only addition would be--once you buy, stop checking.

London, England
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Your opinions, please? (Locations, Flights, Trips Out)

Both locations are good for public transport, but Clink St is massively more appropriate for a holiday location;Borough High St is a busy heavily trafficked main road with lots of bis and commuter transport whereas Clink St is almost a pedestrian area, and romantically closer to the Thames path, Globe Theatre and Thames views...

Level Contributor
17,580 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Your opinions, please? (Locations, Flights, Trips Out)

No one knows what fares will do, but from what I've read, they are not expected to go down much this summer. I think you could do a week in Paris and London if you have 14 days (not sure if this includes travel days which are basically wasted days). You could also spend the whole time in either city. I did 9 in Paris and didn't see everything, and have done about 23 days in London over the last couple of years and have not seen everything (although the last trip I did some less frequently mentioned places.) It just depends on what you want to see.

Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,628 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Your opinions, please? (Locations, Flights, Trips Out)

A couple of days in Paris would be nice but as someone said, do check closing days for attractions there and do book eurostar tickets well in advance or they get expensive.

Destination Expert
for Bruges
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Your opinions, please? (Locations, Flights, Trips Out)

The two properties are only about 5 minutes walk apart, in between you will find Borough Market.

Both very convenient for London Bridge Station and all of its connections.

As Alexmac says Borough High Street is a very busy road, also, if the apartment is in the building I think it is from the photos, there is a Slug and Lettuce Bar on the ground floor. That could add to the noise factor.

Edited: 13 May 2010, 13:11
Londinium born and...
Level Contributor
4,359 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Your opinions, please? (Locations, Flights, Trips Out)

The Borough High Street flat looks lovely, but is in a very, very, busy junction. You'll have traffic noise, plus noise from the pubs and clubs that surround it. It can get very congested at that junction, so having any windows open will be difficult if you're not used to traffic fumes.

The Clink Street flat has the river one side and a narrow cobbled (mainly pedestrian) lane on the other side. Even though it's busy with tourists, it is much quieter at night, once all the restaurants have closed and a very good area to explore.

It'll take about 10 minutes to walk to London Bridge for trains, buses and the tube. You'll have Borough Market around the corner and you'll be spolied for places to eat and drink at all budgets.

I'd pick the Clink Street flat any day. The views will be some of the best in London. Imagine watching the sun go down over St. Paul's as you look out over the river from your balcony?

You'll be the envy of your friends when they see your holiday pics. ;)

9. Re: Your opinions, please? (Locations, Flights, Trips Out)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 November 2010, 06:18