We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gatwick-Victoria: Advance purchase of Southern Rail Tickets?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
249 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Gatwick-Victoria: Advance purchase of Southern Rail Tickets?

Family of 4 with 5 & 13 boys. When I price GTW-VIC rail tickets online for July 9th at 19:30, we get 13 GBP (for 4) for advance purchase and 23 GBP for off peak tickets with southernrailway.com.

We have a 6PM Gatwick arrival. If we buy those cheap 13 GBP tickets online, and get late for some reason, what happens?

Do I lose that 13 GBP alltogether and have to buy tcickets again for 23 GBP?

Any suggestions? Our hotel is next to Piccadilly circus and planning to take train to victoria and then take bus #38 to our hotel.

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,264 reviews
from US$126.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
461 reviews
from US$105.20*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,087 reviews
from US$149.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
465 reviews
from US$300.60*
Duluth, Minnesota...
Level Contributor
157 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gatwick-Victoria: Advance purchase of Southern Rail Tickets?

I just bought tickets for Gatwick to Victoria on Southern Railway. I got tix for 2 adults, 1 child for off-peak without a specific train on a Sunday for 24 GBP. If you are flying in, I wouldn't buy a ticket for a specific train, you never know what's going to happen. BTW, Gatwick Express tix are 10% off for online purchase.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
317 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gatwick-Victoria: Advance purchase of Southern Rail Tickets?

I have a couple of suggestions for this journey. I have taken the Victoria Station to Gatwick several times in the morning with advance purchase tickets with the Southern Line.

When I purchased the advance tickets athey were valid only for that day and that time.

If you have a 18:00 scheduled arrival I would suggest factoring in things like late arrival, delay obtaining luggage, getting from arrival to the train pickup location--so I would advise advanced tickets later say 20:00 or just wait until you have arrived and then buy the tickets (most seem to be £10-12 each.)

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,609 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Gatwick-Victoria: Advance purchase of Southern Rail Tickets?

After all the money spent on your flight / hotel / etc I would say that worrying about £10 is a minor problem and that you'd do better just buying the flexible tickets.

I'd also point out that buying tickets to Victoria may not be the best option unless your hotel is in the Victoria, Kensington or Earls Court area and finding a nearer train station to your hotel may be the best option

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,386 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Gatwick-Victoria: Advance purchase of Southern Rail Tickets?

You do lose your money if you miss a prebooked train with advance single tickets

5. Re: Gatwick-Victoria: Advance purchase of Southern Rail Tickets?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 November 2010, 06:38