We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help wanted with the underground please.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,931 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Help wanted with the underground please.

OK cards on the table.

I'm a Yorkshire man who is not too happy in coming to London.

We are staying for 5 days, 2nd week in June. On 4 of the days I can muddling our way around London on the buses using our bus passes.

But on the Wednesday we need to use the underground to get from Chalk Farm underground to Victoria train station by 8-30am. So my question are......

1. Best way to do it?

2. How long will/should it take? I don't mind being early, but we must not be late. (I have build in a 15 minute leeway in the time)

3. Best way to buy the tickets, Thinking this will be the only time we will be using the underground all week.

I do know you must get fedup answering these kind of questions, but any help will be greatly appreciated.

With thanks.

ian480.

Mentioned in this post
Yorkshire
Yorkshire
England, UK
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,007 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help wanted with the underground please.

1) Take the Northern Line to Embankment, then District Line to Victoria. This should be less hassle than changing at Euston or Leicester Square. Just ensure you get the bit of the Northern Line marked "Charing Cross" and not "Bank" or "City

2) 20 minutes or so

3) for this just buy tickets on the day rather than fiddling with Travelcards or Oystercard PAYG

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,603 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help wanted with the underground please.

Ian use this website to planyour journey

…tfl.gov.uk/user/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2…

basically Chalk Farm take the Northern line towards Morden. Change at Euston and take the Victoria line towards Brixton, get off at Victoria.It's giving a journey time of 17 minutes.You could put in your exact dates to get a better planner for that time, bearing in mind you are travelling at a busy time of the morning.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,931 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help wanted with the underground please.

Thank you Alan and Annabelle.

It as been many year since we have stayed in London Over 30 years I think.

Our two children have treat us (my wife and I) to a days trip on the Orient express steam train to Bath and back, for our 60th birthdays.

Only one snag I have to wear a tie and SHOES.

ian480.

Mentioned in this post
The Orient
The Orient
33 Reviews
London, UK
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,442 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help wanted with the underground please.

I'm not a fan of changing at Euston, but others' views may vary. The journey from the Northern line to the Victoria line at Euston will involve 30 stairs (up), a walk of about 50m then an escalator down to a walk of 20m then arrival ata the southbound Victoria line.

The change at Embankment will involve a few steps up to an escalator, a walk of 8m then 17 steps up to the platform.

The change at KX is an even longer schlep, not pleasant at 0800.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,865 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help wanted with the underground please.

We don't all bite Ian...or get upset when someone spells St Pancras as St Pancreas :-)

I would have arranged a TA pub meet in your honour but I could well be up in Scotland at the same time as you are here. Having said that I will be starting a thread in the next day or two asking for people to post the dates in June that they are here and if enough are here during your stay and we can organise a meet then I know you will be made most welcome. Possibly even in a Sam Smiths pub!

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,381 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help wanted with the underground please.

Ian -think you should travel in more than a tie and shoes its ok to do that up here but they are a bit more reserved down south- . Remember your specs to read timetables to read the very small print and put all your money in your shoe in case someone tries to pick pocket you. Have a lovely trip you lucky things

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,931 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help wanted with the underground please.

Hi adamhrnets.

We are in Dunkeld ourself's at the end of the month, Pity it dose not have any SS pubs, But Edinburgh as one. So we will be popping in for a quick half on the way up.

ian480.

London & Paris
Level Contributor
3,151 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help wanted with the underground please.

TravellerPlus said "I'm not a fan of changing at Euston, but others' views may vary."

If it had been any other time of day, I would have recommended a Euston change. If you take a Morden VIA BANK train from Chalk Farm, the interchange with the Victoria Line at Euston is a simple level walk between two parallel station tunnels. It's the Charing Cross branch that has the more difficult interchange.

But the snag is that the Victoria Line gets VERY crowded in the morning peak, so I think that Ian would find it more comfortable to change at Embankment.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help wanted with the underground please.

I tend to reacon that journeys in London take about an hour, apart from a few local ones for which I allow a half hour. This takes into account geting to the Tube Station, making any changes and finding your way around Victoria Station. As you probably know us soft southerners tend to be late risers so although the tubes will be busy around 8.00 they will not be as packed as at 9.00. Enjoy using your bus passes.

10. Re: Help wanted with the underground please.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 November 2010, 07:16