We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi Protest 2nd June 2010

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi Protest 2nd June 2010

There will be a second black cab protest on Wednesday so, if it was like yesterday's) traffic will be jammed around Trafalgar Square and Waterloo Bridge. It will also be more difficult to find a taxi for hire.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
9,899 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi Protest 2nd June 2010

Hi, while this may be an inconvienance to Londoners and visitors it's worth remembering why the "cabbies" are doing this.

How would you like to invest around £32k on a new TX4 and 3-4 years learning the "knowledge" to see your livelyhood being taken away from you by "Pirates" illegaly picking up passengers in private hire cars who wouldn't know how to get to the end of thier street never mind navigate a city as complex as London.

As a member of the trade up here and we have the same problems then i say good luck to them.

Blame the authorities for not keeping this in check.

Edited: 27 May 2010, 13:17
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,622 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi Protest 2nd June 2010

For my tuppence worth they did the same thing here in Amsterdama few years ago and it was a disater. Taxi plates here were as much as 30k and that value was wiped overnight.

Result, chaos. The reputaion of taxi's good and bad were tarnished by rogue drivers (often illegal immigrants) turning up in town and driving cabs. Half the time they did not even know where they were never mind where they were going when you got in. Tourists were regualrly ripped off and taken on unnoficial tours and refused rides of short duration. There was even a fight between a driver and a customer on the Leidseplein rank which allegedly resulted in the driver kicking the customer wh later died.

I will not get in a taxi here unless it is a TCA (Taxi Centraal Amsterdam) one which are a respected company.

Now the Government are having to really control the drivers again.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi Protest 2nd June 2010

Let's clarify a bit. This protest is not against the private individuals who illegally pass themselves off as licensed private drivers. It is against the scheme run by Westminster council in Leicester Square that allows people who can't find a black cab between 9pm and 4am to queue up and request a marshaller to assign them to a licensed mini-cab.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
9,899 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi Protest 2nd June 2010

Hi Nick, the flyer I saw which appeared on our taxi forum up here did mention this practise but it also specified stopping the illegal pirates as well which is happening everywhere, what most people do not realise is that if you get into a Private Hire car that has not been pre-booked and that car is then in an accident and you are injured you will not be covered by insurance.

Ron I did not want to mention the plates but yes you are talking around these figures which are over and above the cost of the TX4.

btw I am not an owner, just a driver, so i'm not biased because of any financial investment, just my job.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,439 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi Protest 2nd June 2010

Part of the reason why some people have to use car firms other than black cabs is because of the refusal of many black cab drivers to go much beyond a relatively limited area of central London. They only seem to think regulations should be obeyed when it suits.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
9,899 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi Protest 2nd June 2010

The old "don't go sath of the river Guv" joke.

Can't speak for the London Cabbies but my philosphy is "bums on seats" no matter what the distance is, the only reason i would refuse a hire is if i am about to change over and to do so would hold the next driver up.

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,322 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi Protest 2nd June 2010

Amen Wansteader, in the wee small hours I'm often at the mercy of whether a cabbie wants to go as far out as my Middlesex postcode. If he lives out that way, I see the £50 signs light up in his eyes and he knows it's his last job and he can knock off for the night. (And why not, good luck to him). But if the cabbie happens to live out East or somewhere else, he'll often turn my fare down. They do pick and choose, even though they're supposed to honour any fare up to 12 miles (I live within 11 miles of Notting Hill) or 1 hour in duration in Greater London (my journey takes about 25 mins late at night).

They also seem to pick and choose working hours more to suit themselves than their customers. It can be a heck of a job finding a cab very late at night. It's no surprise that people are using private hire cars.

I think London cabbies are generally very good but they sometimes shoot themselves in the foot by believing that the cab business revolves around the driver, and not the customer. I'm happy to support cabbies, but as a customer I just want to get home... if cabbies aren't there to provide that service, then I'll happily ring Addison Lee ta.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
9,899 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi Protest 2nd June 2010

You are qiute right and you are free to choose Private Hire if you wish, just so long as it is pre-booked, but thats not the issue here.

£50 for a hire? if only up here!

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,237 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi Protest 2nd June 2010

Good points on both sides but there is more to it than Nick intimates, several black cab drivers have been threatened with violence, also some roads leading to nightclubs are being put practically under siege by mini cabs physically blocking or trying to block black cab access.

Behind the scenes and initial reports, there is a very dark side to this, the beginning of a mafiosa style operation that the authorities need to stamp out before it gets out of hand. I've seen it in other countries and it has a nasty potential, and yes, sorry to say without prejudice that it appears to be

eastern europen mini cabs, a high proportion from Albania from the incidents told to me - but as a disclaimer that is second hand info. regarding nationalities.

Black cabs are out of order refusing fares, and they are expensive but they don't deserve the authorities incompetence in not stamping on this. And, maybe some good will result when it gets sorted, namely that black cab drivers might start being a bit more flexible and user friendly when it doesn't suit them. By alienating the general public they allow windows of opportunity for others to exploit IMO

Stoofer

Edited: 27 May 2010, 16:10
glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
9,899 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxi Protest 2nd June 2010

Stoofer you are right that there is an element of criminality involved in the Private Hire business with well known gangsters using it as a front to launder money.

Up here there has been recent legislation passed by the Scottish Govt in that all Taxi bases must posses a base licence whereby the owners are vetted and the police can walk in at anytime and demand to see who was picked up where by whom and where to.

The Chief Constable of Strathclyde Police personally attends the licencing meetings and several firms have not had a licence granted having been proved they are linked to organised crime with several still operating on appeal.

I drive for Glasgow Taxis Ltd which is an owners co-operative and is the largest operator of the Black Hackney fleet anywhere outside of London and we are vetted to the hilt with enhanced dislosures and Customer Awareness Courses and the cabs are tested every 6 months to ensure they are suitable.