We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London itinerary/family/what do you think?

New York
Level Contributor
7 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
London itinerary/family/what do you think?

Hi

I would love to get some feedback on our itinerary. We are a family of 4 (Mom and Dad and 11 and 13 year-old boys). We will be visiting London for 6 days in late June 2010. We all like history and are very excited about seeing London.

(We have done Madame Toussade's here in NY so we can skip that, the boys also are not interested in the Natural History Museum or the Zoo).

Day 1, Thursday

Arrive from New York at 8:30 am and check into Bloomsbury hotel (or at least drop off our bags).

We'll all be tired so I thought fresh air and instant impact would be the way to go so we are going to take to tube to Westminster - tour the catherdral and then take a walk so the boys can see Big Ben and the Houses of Parliamnet. I dont' think we'll go inside though. Next, depending on the energy level, we'll go to St. Martin for the brass rubbings. Next, head back to the hotel for a rest. Dinner at North Sea Fish Bar, near our hotel and then bed.

Day 2, Friday

10 am bike tour.

Afternoon: We'll walk the south bank, maybe lunch at Borough Market, maybe the London Eye (only 2 of us are intersted)

Imperial War Museum

No dinner or evening plans yet.

Day 3, Saturday

Churchill War rooms

Picadilly/Funland (it can't all be history and museums)

Afternoon: Spies Walk (my sons are huge James Bond fans but not sure about this walk).

No dinner or evening plans

Day 5, Sunday

Church - we are Catholic and would love to attend a mass in an old church, any suggestions?

Late morning - Thames Clipper to the Artillery Museum and lunch.

I don't know how long this will be so I don't have anything in the later afternoon.

Evening- Jack the Ripper walking tour

Day 6, Monday

am - the Crown Jewels

Tower

Afternoon?

Evening - Les Mis

I would appreciate any advice.

My husband and I have both been to London before we had children. This is the first trip to Europe for our boys.

Thank you.

Suffolk
Level Contributor
102 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London itinerary/family/what do you think?

Hi, My only thought is regarding the London Eye, my family I found it absolutely worth it so you might want to twist some arms and get everyone on board.

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London itinerary/family/what do you think?

It all looks pretty good and well thought-out. There are also lots of festivals going on in June, so check out www.timeout.com/london the week before you travel.

Thursday: “tube to Westminster - tour the cathedral” - I think you mean Westminster Abbey. Westminster Cathedral is the Roman Catholic cathedral nearby and you could go there on Sunday, it has a great view from the roof.

“depending on the energy level, we'll go to St. Martin(in the Fields) for the brass rubbings”. That’s not going to happen - at least one of the boys and probably both will be over-tired and any concentrating on making brass rubbings will feel too much like hard work. It might seem a waste to fly all this way and just sit in a park, but I think you should go to St James Park between Trafalgar Square and Buckingham Palace if it’s a nice day and just relax, and look out for the pelicans, who are fed there daily between 2.30 and 3 pm.

Day 3, Saturday

“Piccadilly/Funland (it can't all be history and museums)” - I agree, but don’t know what Funland is although I bet it’s a good way to lose money fast. If your sons are James Bond fans, think about taking them on the James Bond RIB speedboat tour which is a lot more enjoyable than the walk, but is more expensive:

http://www.thamesribexperience.com/index.php

I’m sure the boys will know the Bond movie where they had a chase along the river in the opening credits.

Day 5, Sunday

“Church - we are Catholic and would love to attend a mass in an old church, any suggestions?” Westminster Cathedral (see above) and the Brompton Oratory (google for info) are the grandest Catholic churches in London but there are lots of others.

Edited: 02 June 2010, 23:32
West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London itinerary/family/what do you think?

This link might be better.

thamesribexperience.com/themes_ultimatespy.p…

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London itinerary/family/what do you think?

How about St. Paul's Cathedral for Sunday church? It would be a great chance to see the magnificent interior.

No. California
Level Contributor
645 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: London itinerary/family/what do you think?

A river cruise to Greenwich might be something the boys [and you] would enjoy. St. Pauls Cathedral is magnificent, but not, I dont believe a Catholic

church. Westminster Cathdral is Catholic and is beautiful --they might have a website with Mass times.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London itinerary/family/what do you think?

Church of England services are very similar to catholic services. I'm Lutheran but still enjoy services at St. Paul's and Westminster Abbey (and other CoE churches.) God won't mind. : )

No. California
Level Contributor
645 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: London itinerary/family/what do you think?

Kayb---- You are so right. I have lit incense in temples in Hong Kong and Thailand, and attended services in other churches---really doesn't hurt to cover all the bases! {Don't mean to offend anyone or turn this into a religious thread} .

JGH--- You are so fortunate to be able to take your boys at that age--old enough to understand and appreciate what they are seeing and yet not into those tough teen years yet. Have a wonderful time!

Edited: 03 June 2010, 04:13
london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,291 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London itinerary/family/what do you think?

The C of E won't mind Catholics attending their services but to the Catholics, it doesn't count as a service. Until fairly recently (maybe 50 years) Catholics had to get permission to attend services in a Christian church of another denomination.

There are some services in Latin around still if you are interested.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
857 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London itinerary/family/what do you think?

i agree with suggestion that everyone ride the london eye. i would also try and visit covent garden one afternoon for lunch maybe. lastly, we really enjoyed the british museum - and while we dont have kids yet - seemed to hold the kids interest that were around that day

wilmington de
Level Contributor
167 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London itinerary/family/what do you think?

I, too, am Catholic. I have attended Mass at both Westminster Cathedral and Brompton Oratory. Both are beautiful churches. If what you are looking for is old, check out St. Etheldreda Church. I have not been there yet but it is on my list for my next visit.

Just for further info, I attended the Latin Mass at Brompton Oratory. It is a beautiful Mass, but MUCH longer than the standard Mass.