We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

recommendations for high tea

California
Level Contributor
460 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
recommendations for high tea

Was planning to go to Fortnum & Mason for high tea on Tuesday, July 6th but found out that their restaurant is closed that day. I am leaving London in the evening and would like a late tea before transferring to Heathrow. Will be in the area of Oxford and Piccadilly Circus. Suggestions?

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,331 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: recommendations for high tea

I see that Fortnum and Mason do a proper "High tea" where you get hot savoury dishes... was it this that you were particularly interested in? Of course there are many places that do a lovely afternoon tea including sandwiches and sweet pastries with your pot of Earl Grey, but a proper high tea (or meat tea) is not as common. So would you need the hot dish/es, or are you happy with posh sandwiches and the scones and cakes?

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: recommendations for high tea

If you scroll down the list of FAQs compiled by TheArtGirl you'll find several very good suggestions. She must have put a lot of work into compiling it, so it's a pity if it isn't looked at.

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
425 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: recommendations for high tea

The Langham does high tea as well as afternoon tea

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,331 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: recommendations for high tea

"She must have put a lot of work into compiling it, so it's a pity if it isn't looked at."

I agree, but the OP is asking for High Tea, hence why I asked if that is the particular need. TheArtGirl has listed good places for afternoon tea which does differ.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cavelossim
Level Contributor
4,002 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: recommendations for high tea

Bea's Teas in Bloomsbury does a great high tea. Check out their website - they are not too far a walk from Holborn, Chancery Lane or Russell Square tubes so not a million miles away from the areas you suggest. I sometimes wander up there at lunchtime and buy one of their fantastic mixed salads to take back to work, managing somehow to resist the cakes (I do have a picture of some of their cupcakes on my desk for afternoon gazing though!).

The Art Girl's excellent information can be found at the top of the forum listings - I have extracted the afternoon tea information below for the confused and terminally lazy!!

WHERE IS THE BEST AFTERNOON TEA?

www.elegant-lifestyle.com/afternoon-teas.htm

http://www.tea.co.uk/index.php?pgId=111

TALF recommendations include The Ritz, The Lanesborough, The Wolseley, The Dorchester, Claridges, Browns Hotel, Fortnum & Mason and, for those on a budget, The Orangery.

Search the forum under “afternoon tea” for advice, and “tea review” or “TALF tea” for reviews of past TALF tea meets.

California
Level Contributor
460 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: recommendations for high tea

I haven't had the opportunity to check out the suggestions but will do this later today.

My daughter and I will have lunch at the V&A as we go through the museum. So, we will want a late tea that very nice but not necessarily a huge amount of food. Our last shopping will be at Fortnum & Mason and then back to the hotel at Oxford Circus to pick up our luggage. We could detour for a great tea suggestion.

Thanks for the advice so far!

Marcia

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,155 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: recommendations for high tea

From what you say it looks like you want an afternoon tea rather than a high tea but it would be appreciated if you would confirm this. Thanks.

Edited: 03 June 2010, 22:54
California
Level Contributor
460 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: recommendations for high tea

So many great suggestions! I am down to the Langham (very near my hotel) and the Lanesborough. Is the Lanesborough worth the detour?

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,331 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: recommendations for high tea

Can you confirm that you're happy with afternoon tea, and not necessarily high tea? If so, I'm a big fan of the Lanesborough, I thought it was very special indeed (I love their crockery) but I also loved The Connaught. Both are really smart. Not been to the Langham I'm afraid so I can't compare it.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Brighton, Nice
Level Contributor
6,180 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: recommendations for high tea

You can play this a few ways. First of all, I wouldn't bother with lunch if you're going to have afternoon tea (and I assume it's afternoon tea that you want, not high tea). There's a lot of food with afternoon tea - it's a meal in itself. Have a light snack if you're hungry but not a proper lunch. Since you'll be at the V&A, you could have tea at The Capital Hotel nearby (behind Harrods). They start serving at 3pm.

capitalhotel.co.uk/restaurantbar_afternoonte…

If that's too late for you, and you want to be in the Piccadilly area before 3pm, then The Wolseley, Browns Hotel, and Claridges are all fine choices. The Wolseley is the trendiest but least formal of those three. They're also more reasonably priced. But you must book in advance.

I was at the Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel recently and their afternoon tea looked lovely. I had had lunch there, so wasn't in tea mode, but if the tea is as good as their lunch, it should be a nice experience.