We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for 6 days

sydney
Level Contributor
434 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary for 6 days

We will be in London for 6 days early July. 3 adults ( 50 years) and a 10 year old child. We have visited London previously but it was 28 years ago . As there are so many tourist attractions to see and do in London and we also want to relax and enjoy the vibe of London any advice what to do and how to split our time in the 6 days would be greatly appreciated.

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - London
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Strawberry Tours
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
The English Bus
City Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Cultural Tours
London Black Taxi Tours
Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, City Tours
Ambler, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
982 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary for 6 days

Hi: I'll start with my two cents worth... Get a good London guide book and map that makes sense to you and highlight the attractions and other spots that you want to visit. Then you might organize your days geographically. In July, it will be nice walking through the parks. The child might enjoy the Science Museum and the Natural History Museum (in Kensington). The Victoria & Albert Museum is right there, too. (There's at least two days in museums.) Ride the London Eye on one of those museum days for variety. Maybe tour Tower of London and St. Paul's Cathedral one day with a walk through Leadenhall Market in between. Some museums are open late on certain nights, so that might influence your planning. The outdoor markets also have certain days of operation. I hope this helps a little.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
860 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary for 6 days

I echo Foslo's suggestion on reading a good guidebook.. DK Eyewitness and Lonely Planet's London books provide brilliant area-specific walking itineraries so you could do for example Kensington walk 1 day, and do East End the next.

You may also want to take a daytrip out of London.. so many interesting places to see nearby! Brighton, Windsor, Cambridge.. the choice is endless

London
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary for 6 days

6 days is a good amount of time to do a lot. I would recommend you take time to go to greenwich. it's so beautiful there. The observatory is there and also where they measure meridian line. You can even get a boat from Westminster all the way to Greenwich. You can use your oyster card on the Thames Clipper. You'll just need to pay a bit extra.

(By the way, I'm guessing you will get a 7 day travelcard each for the duration of your stay).

You should also go to Camden. The area is cool. There is a nice lock and a good market.

Enjoy!!

Comet, Qld
Level Contributor
579 posts
296 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary for 6 days

When we were at the Tower of London in July a few years ago there was a pantomime-style re-enactment of an attempt to steal the Crown Jewels. It was lots of fun - I'm not sure that the adults didn't enjoy it more than the children. Maybe someone can tell you if these are on all the time. We just happened upon it, but if they still do it there's bound to be info somewhere on when it's on.

Our trips haven't been with children so much of the stuff we did might not be helpful but what is your 10yo interested in? Perhaps a trip to Hamley's without buying anything - it's very entertaining.

Edited: 09 June 2010, 09:29
sydney
Level Contributor
434 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary for 6 days

Ive just realised I havent organised to buy travel cards online and seen it takes 12 days for delivery to Australia. With us due to leave in 13 days I guess I would have to pay 35 pounds to fedex it here so it would arrive in time and so we could use it from Heathrow to London. Or is there a better way to get into London County hall from Heathrow for 2 adults and a 10 year old? Would it still be the most economical way to get around London even paying 35 for shipping?

london
Level Contributor
207 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary for 6 days

Do you mean tfl tube/bus travelcards? Why not just buy them at heathrow tube station when you arrive?

sydney
Level Contributor
434 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary for 6 days

I was looking at a 6 day travel card for 80 pounds each per adult and the child travels free.

london
Level Contributor
207 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary for 6 days

£80 is a lot for a weekly travel card! i'm a bit confused because you say 6 day not seven day? is this for the tube/bus or is it for overground trains?

where will you be staying that wil help people let you know which ticket you need

for reference here are ticket prices from tfl

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14416.aspx

sydney
Level Contributor
434 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary for 6 days

i think i am getting confused with the london pass that gets you into 55 attractions.!

All we want to get is a card to travel on public transport for 6 days arriving from Heathrow to London, staying at county hall and traveling around london on buses, tubes trains thanks.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,317 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary for 6 days

If you haven't gotten a guidebook yet, I would go for the DK Eyewitness Travel book on London. It's got great explanations and lots of color photos, making it very kid friendly. I've gotten my kids to go through it and pick out places of interest.

I would recommend also that you steer clear of Madame Tussaud's and London Dungeons. Overpriced and not worth it.

Have you planned to go to any shows?