We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Filling your suitcase for the trip home

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Canada
4 posts
Save Topic
Filling your suitcase for the trip home

Hello everyone! I will be visiting London (and the UK) for the first time next week, and I'm wondering if you have any ideas on gifts or souvenirs that I might want to bring back with me. I keep asking my loved ones what they'd like me to bring home, but nobody has any requests.

I'm open to any and all suggestions - from alcohol, to candy, to trinkets. I have a 3 year-old son to think about, as well...we live in Canada, and I'll be in the UK for a week. Thanks in advance!!!!

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,538 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Filling your suitcase for the trip home

If you're coming to Cornwall, I can recommend some clotted cream fudge.

london
Level Contributor
2,112 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Filling your suitcase for the trip home

for your 3 year old I'd suggest the London Transport toys from Hamleys ... they do the red London double decker, a tube train, black taxi ... or a cute set http://www.hamleys.com/London_Bus_Transporter_|_Hamleys_Toys/784199,default,pd.html ... Hamleys is on Regent Street http://www.hamleys.com/

winnipeg
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Filling your suitcase for the trip home

They also sell clotted cream fudge at Westminster Abbey gift shop in a nice souvenir box.

I filled a suitcase with assorted teas from Harrod's and Marks and Spencer, along with the guidebook to every place we went to. Makes good perusing from time to time and brings back memories, especially if you didn't take pics of certain things. We also purchased a Harrod's police bobby bear for our grandson.

2 of our faves were silly things like creams from Boots and dishtowels from Buckingham Palace that I will never dare use.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Filling your suitcase for the trip home

shortbread biscuits,even though you can get them at home,it means more when they come from England. I brought back lavender soap and sachets,from Woods of Windsor.

If you have time,try to get to Emma bridgewater's pottery shop in Fulham. they make lovely pieces that are not expensive and are one of a kind designs. the stores in Covent garden are also a great place to shop,including Monsoon and accessorize for women's clothes.

http://www.emmabridgewater.co.uk/

Edited: 07 June 2010, 22:59
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Filling your suitcase for the trip home

link to covent garden:http://www.coventgardenlife.com/shopping/shopping.asp

how about a brass rubbing from St.Martin's in the Field church,in Trafalgar square? definitely unique and one of a kind.

Fredericksburg, VA
Level Contributor
970 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Filling your suitcase for the trip home

What cazinatutu said about Transport toys. My son was 10 when we were in London, and he LOVES the double decker, etc. we got, as did all of his younger cousins when we brought some home to them.

I personally like Cadbury's chocolate. Doesn't taste anything like our Hershey's (especially the Bourneville dark chocolate - I still have a few bars left from last summer through very strict rationing!!).

I'd say food items, tea, etc. have all been popular when we've brought them home for the adults!

Cybored

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,436 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Filling your suitcase for the trip home

If you want sweets, just visit a larger branch of Sainsbury's, Waitrose or Tesco and fill a basket there. The London Transport Museum shop has a wealth of goodies, most of which are London-centred and worth considering.

Mugs from Marks & Spencer, hand cream from Boots, a pretty notebook from Paperchase - there's plenty from which to choose.

No. California
Level Contributor
645 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Filling your suitcase for the trip home

If you are visiting the Tower of London they have a large, fantastic gift and

souvenir shop right outside. Most [probably all] the larger museums and art galleries have nice shops for something special-- not just keychains and such which you can buy at loads of different souvenir shops all over the city.

Camden market is great for inexpensive T-shirts, ball caps and stuff for teenagers, if

there are any on your list.

I second the idea for clotted cream fudge! It's delicious---brought back

some when I was there and everyone loved it.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Filling your suitcase for the trip home

For the 3 yr old, how about a stuffed Paddington Bear and a Paddington Bear storybook to go with it.

Keep in mind that it doesn't take long to get a heavy suitcase. Keep the souvenirs light. I used to bring back Fortnum & Mason lemon curd for people, but now I only bring back 1 jar for myself. : )

Things I bring back... Cadbury and Thornton's Chocolate, Walkers Toffee, Kendall Mint, anything from Fortnum & Mason food hall, tea, tote bags, key chains, bookmarks, calendars, t-shirts. And Pimms from the duty-free store at the airport - after you've checked your luggage and gone through security so it doesn't count as extra weight in your luggage. : )

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,322 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Filling your suitcase for the trip home

Thornton's is a good idea, the brazil nut toffee is lovely. A Twinings Tea selection from the shop on the Strand is a must. Anything with "Mind the gap" or the Underground symbol on it. Maybe a towel featuring the tube map.

Edit: Agreed that for the kids, a London bus or taxi is a must. (Only buy the licenced taxis, never pick up a standard car off a market stall. Just a topical joke there by the way).

Edited: 08 June 2010, 08:29