We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yorkie come's to town!

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,824 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Yorkie come's to town!

How does it go about the best laid plans?

I came on here asking about the underground from North London to Victoria station. It was not until we was half way to London that we found out we was staying at Canary Wharf. Ho well it was a better hotel and we did have a very good deal.

Because we got to London early we had one hour in Greenwich. As we got off the coach the first thing that hit me was all the horn blowing. Why do people have to blow the horns all the time? Within a split second of the lights going from red to amber people where on there horns, WHY?

We had a nice walk around then off to our Hotel. I've never been to Canary Wharf before and maybe I was a little overwhelmed by it. All the roadblocks and road shooting off underground ect. While my wife unpacked I went for a wonder around and ended up catching the D8 to Poplar and back. Just checking if I could use my bus pass. Back at the Hotel we had tea (or is it dinner?) then had a drink in the hotel bar. At £3 a pint I only had one, then off to bed.

The coach took us to the London Eye by 10am for a ride (all in the price) From there we made our own way as we did not went to go to madame Tussaud's (again all in the price). For the next 6 hours we went looking for Sam Smith's pubs. He as 38 in London and I wanted to see how many I could have a drink in.

Now I did not tell Mrs ian480 about my mission, but after about 4 the penny dropped. Needless to say after ten I was in the doghouse, yet again. At 5pm my wife had had enough and we made our way back to the hotel via the #15 bus. After a good hour ride and then a 10 minute walk we was back for a shower and tea/dinner. In bed by 9pm with a cocoa. we do know how to live the high life you know!

Up by 5-45am. Today was the day why we was in London. Our daughter had booked us on the Orient Express day trip to Bath and back. Today was the first time I had worn a tie and shoe's in over 3 years and I felt like a fish out of water.

Now what can I say about Canary Wharf underground. I think the word I'm looking for is BIG. It cost £7-20 each for the trip to Victoria and back. I didn't what to buy the train, just to have a ride on it! The trip to Victoria went without a hitch, but nobody was talking to each other. They read the Sun or the free Metro papers, books or just gazed into thin air

On the tube on the way back, 2 young ladies offered their seats to me. It was very sweet of them and I did refused them but very nicely. Bl**ly h*ll do I really look that old? In bed by 10pm (maybe I am getting old)

Back in London for 10am and we had a nice walk around Hyde Park, Green Park and St James Park. What a joy to see all the wild life.At noon it was time to find some more pubs.I have to say Sam Smiths have some lovely pubs in London and 2 of the managers know me by my posts on the SS forum and it was very good to talk to them.after about 7 pubs my wife had put her foot down and we headed back to our hotel via the DLR.

We jumped on it without getting any tickets, well how was I to know we had to buy them first? A very nice young man explained how we could buy our tickets when we changed trains and another nice lady helped me out with the ticket machine. Back to the Hotel and it bed and cocoa by 8pm. It's all go.

Came back home today. It's the first time in 36 year's ( our honeymoon) that we have spent so long in London. Did we enjoy it? Off course we did.

Now I do understand why people do love to live, work or visit London, but I have to say it nice to get back home.

ian480.

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,331 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yorkie come's to town!

"It cost £7-20 each for the trip to Victoria and back."

You realise that was the maximum you'd pay all day? That's the daily price cap (peak) on Oyster.

Good report, thank you!

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,474 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yorkie come's to town!

Glad you had a good time Ian, though I'm a bit bothered by 'It cost £7-20 each for the trip to Victoria and back'. You could have got a zone 1-2 daily travelcard for less than that. And I thought you were a regular on this forum:-)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,613 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yorkie come's to town!

'I didn't know what to buy the train, just to have a ride on it!' - the Jubilee line is usually happy with a small bunch of flowers, even petrol station forecourt flowers will do. It's even happier when people don't drop Metro or drinks bottles as litter (and I'm sure you wouldn't have done that) so your relationship with the Jubilee line should be sound.

Canary Wharf Tube station is a bit of all mouth and no trews, isn't it? All that empty space, a bit of 'look what we could do!' in the ticket hall.

Happy to hear you enjoyed the Smoke, and I trust the Orient Express to Bath was a good'un as well, even if it meant having to wear a tie. ☺

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,162 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yorkie come's to town!

Canary Wharf station might seem huge when empty but try checking in during peak times :eek:

5. Re: Yorkie come's to town!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 December 2010, 08:16