We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oyster Card/Travel Card Clarification

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
460 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Oyster Card/Travel Card Clarification

I plan to take the tube from Heathrow to London. I will be in London for 7 days in zones 1&2.

From what I have read, I think my best choice would be an Oyster Card with (how much?) money for the trip to London and also loaded with a 7 day travel card.

Did I figure this out correctly?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,930 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oyster Card/Travel Card Clarification

If you'll be in London for a week then a seven day Travelcard will be the business. Bought at one of the Underground stations at Heathrow, the card will be sold to you loaded on an Oyster card.

You'll pay a refundable £3 deposit for the Oyster itself, £25.80 for the Travelcard, and the excess fare from zone 6 to the boundary of zone 2. If you leave LHR after 0930 on a weekday or any time at the weekend the excess fare will be £1.30; at peak travel time that excess fare will be £2.20.

Tasmania
Level Contributor
77 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oyster Card/Travel Card Clarification

Depending on what you are planning to do in London... we are here on holidays atm and bought a 7 day travelcard for about 24 pound (covers zones 1 & 2). We have saved well over this amount in discounts thanks to the 2 for 1 offers!!! Definitely worth checking out if you are planning on doing tourist attractions (http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/).

From my understanding you need to make sure you get the travelcard from a National Rail supplier not an Underground one... we got ours from Euston station, just mention thats what you want to use it for and they will let you know.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,876 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Oyster Card/Travel Card Clarification

Does "I" mean "I" or "My partner and I". If the latter and you intend being tourists then getting a Travelcard as per reply 2 would work out substantially cheaper than Oystercards with Travelcards on them even if you have to pay the full cash price of getting into & out of London

California
Level Contributor
460 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oyster Card/Travel Card Clarification

"I" actually means my daughter and I. We will be traveling separately part of the time and not be visiting tourist sites except for museums. So, I don't think we need the 2 for 1.

Thanks everyone for the advice and options.

California
Level Contributor
460 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oyster Card/Travel Card Clarification

And, I just printed out copies for us to use when we get to London. Thanks again!

6. Re: Oyster Card/Travel Card Clarification

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 December 2010, 07:16