We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling from London --> York (maybe) --> Edinbugh

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
134 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Traveling from London --> York (maybe) --> Edinbugh

Hi All,

I am looking to travel with a friend from London, specificaly Bricket Wood, up to Edinburgh. I asked around and found that a stop over in York would be a good choice.

I will be having my official training in Bricket Wood, which will end on a Saturday morning. After which, I will probably arrange for a "pick up baggage" service to have my luggage send back to Singapore, while I travel light.

1) My eventual destination is to stop over in Edinburgh for the night, or to arrive there Sunday early morning. Do you think its a good idea for me to spend a few hours walking around York? If I catch a 11am train, I will reach York by 2pm, and I can walk around the city before heading out to Edinburgh by 8pm. Can I finish walking the main attractions in York within that 5 hours? Or I might as well skip York?

2) As UK have a few rail companies, I am having a bit of trouble trying to book the rail tickets. Is it the same booking from any company's website?

3) As Bricket Wood is out of the way, which train station should I go to to go up to York or Edinburgh? Most trains will travel back to London before heading up to those cities. Is there any way I can go around that?

4) Train rides cost around 40 pounds each. Is there any discounts or cheaper method to travel? I do not see any early bird discount or internet booking discounts. I don't mind taking a bus if the traveling time is not too long.

Thank you for reading my long list of questions! Appreciate any assistance. Cheers

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,860 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling from London --> York (maybe) --> Edinbugh

You didn't say when you were leaving Edinburgh. The direct trains from London to York all go from Kings Cross, usually the first stop is Peterborough about 45-60 mins out with a few stopping at Stevenage. It's also trains from KX direct to Edinburgh as well.

Bricket Wood is on a line to Watford Junction, a train from there will take you to Euston and short walk to KX if you haven't got too much luggage. If you can get to St Albans it's a direct train to KX/St Pancras from there.

Have a look at www.nationalrail.co.uk/index.html or www.eastcoast.co.uk/ for train times and fares - east coast have been advertising cheap fares over the past few months but we are now getting into the summer period so maybe fewer deals to get. Remember to put London in as the starting point then it will give you a list of stations to select fromas it may not recognise Kings Cross. Some people say it is cheaper to break up a journey and book two separate tickets (but the train must stop at the point where the ticket ends/starts) rather than go straight through but a quick check doesn't show this.

York is a lovely city, fairly compact so you can walk around it easily but it will be very busy on a Saturday - Why not go direct to Edinburgh on teh Saturday and stop off at York on your way back?The station isn't too far from the centre and they have city sightseeing buses there - check out the York UK forum for further info.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling from London --> York (maybe) --> Edinbugh

If you are getting fares of £40 that definitely is at a discount for early booking. As to internet booking, east coast offer a 10% discount on SOME fares if you book through them.

There is a trick involved in getting their website to accept overseas cards - I've forgotten the details but someone else may post them

And 5 hours is enough to see the main sights in York. You will either need to buy separate tickets London-York and York-Edinburgh or pay for a very expensive open ticket that allows you to break your journey

3. Re: Traveling from London --> York (maybe) --> Edinbugh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 December 2010, 07:16