We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London hotel news

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,151 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
London hotel news

* The Savoy is to finally reopen on Octover 10th - caterersearch.com/Articles/2010/06/18/333851…

* A new budget chain, Tune, is to offer 1000 rooms at one penny a night to celebrate the opening of their first London hotel in Westminster Bridge Road - caterersearch.com/Articles/2010/06/18/333859…

* And on a lighter note - caterersearch.com/Articles/2010/06/18/333862…

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London hotel news

Those rooms at Tune look like bigger versions of the Yotel rooms. : )

London, United...
Level Contributor
443 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London hotel news

Thought I would do a follow up on Tune Hotel. I stayed there the other night on a promotion that was £9 a night (plus credit card fee as did not have a electron card). Rooms are advertised from £35.

It's not bad for a one night stay. Location near Waterloo (Lambeth North is nearest tube) is central enough.

Room is tiny. There is a double bed in there, but was not able to walk around it, so I had to climb across the bed to get in the other side, where there is just another space to stand. If you and your partner both have a habit of getting out of bed in the middle of the night to visit the bathroom, then that might be a problem.

Bathroom again small you can have someone in the shower while someone else is at the sink or toliet, but that's it. Shower was ok not too powerful, but I've stay at other places that were a lot worst.

Just about everything is extra cost. Towels, tolieties (they do include toliet rolls!), safe, TV, cleaning, etc. We took towels and tolieties so didn't pay anything extra.

There are power sockets so you can use that if you bring your own hair dryer or phone charger, etc.

Our room had a window and the blind was really good and blocked out all the light when we closed it. Some rooms have no window at all.

So on the whole I thought the place was good for a one night stay, would probably be ok for weekend. More than that and you will find it hard as you would not really have space for your luggage and there are only some hangers by the mirror and no cupboard. Plus you will want to start paying the cleaning cost if you start for longer periods.

Hotel is above a Costa coffee and a decent bar (Horse)that had a reasonable Thai menu and a ATM over the road. There was also a Chinese and Italian nearby, but no idea what they are like.

So nice place and I will definitely think about using it again if I am doing a night out in London and don't fancy the trip home on the train. Not so sure if the cost changes if you just turn up late at night, but it could be a use place if you miss your last train home.

What the place will be like in a few months time could be a issue depending on how well they keep it clean as the walls are white, except for a feature wall so it could get a little dirty after a while.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,151 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London hotel news

Thank Grimoor. The divine Byrony Gordon from the Daily Telegraph also stayed there this week - telegraph.co.uk/travel/hotels/7966244/Inside…

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London hotel news

Thans for the information. Any volunteers to pay for a night at the re-done Savoy

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,555 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London hotel news

And better pay for a cold shower for Mr Hornets too - fancy getting excited by the Daily Telegraph.

Edited: 27 August 2010, 20:01
Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,151 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London hotel news

It's not the paper (although the full cricket scoreboard has been known to send me all a quiver on the rare occasion when Middlesex are doing well!) but Ms Gordon herself.

Paphos, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Paphos
Level Contributor
4,703 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London hotel news

Thanks for the feedback about the Tune Hotel. I have booked 2 rooms for one night in December for a friend and I, and was hoping to see a review before then. Sounds exactly what I was expecting, so looking forward to a good couple of days in the city!

Happy travels

Trisha

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,331 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London hotel news

The Tune looks pretty fabulous to be honest, as long as you know what you're getting. £9 a night? Well that would be super value. Although all I can find are £55 rooms. Still not too bad I suppose.

Bryony Gordon looks like someone I'd cross the street to avoid. She definately fell through the ugly tree, though in her defence she didn't quite hit every branch. You're easily pleased Adam. ;-)

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London hotel news

Would love to see the "new" Savoy!

We'll be in England the 10th but snugly tucked away in the countryside.

ah well, maybe next spring.

Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,465 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London hotel news

Would be a bit scary if you got one of the rooms without windows!