We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London or England movie to give teenagers a glimpse?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
72 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
London or England movie to give teenagers a glimpse?

Hi, we are coming to London (from Australia) this week. Was wondering if there are any good movies or docoumentaries to give my teenagers a bit of a feel for what they will see and do in London before we get there?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London or England movie to give teenagers a glimpse?

I'm tempted to say "Trainspotting" but I doubt you'd thank me for it ;-)

I guess it depends on the sort of things you plan to see and do. Lots of movies are set in London and lots feature an area of the city as part of the narrative, but these areas of the city tend to be the ones people live in rather than the tourist sites - understandably

On the bright side, you won't have to worry these days about the sort of climatic or crime conditions featured in any one of the countless Dickens, Sherlock Holmes or Jack the Ripper adaptations that have made their way to the screen

On the less bright side, someone might recommend a dreadful Richard Curtis "comedy" if we're not careful

What sort of stuff do your teens like? That might help

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
748 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London or England movie to give teenagers a glimpse?

I found that good source is the local library. I'm not sure about yours, but ours had a number of DVD's about things to do and see in London. We found them helpful. Good luck.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,677 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: London or England movie to give teenagers a glimpse?

<<< I'm tempted to say "Trainspotting" >>>

Which was set in Edinburgh and filmed in Glasgow

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London or England movie to give teenagers a glimpse?

...and featured a section (not insubstantial) in London, which was why I said it

London, England
Level Contributor
1,319 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London or England movie to give teenagers a glimpse?

Tell them to search YouTube - more than enough on there.

Check out this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16ztSXkbquo which in 8 minutes and is a pretty good attempt at summing up London in a short time.

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,322 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London or England movie to give teenagers a glimpse?

Withnail and I. Though lighter fluid as a beverage is not as popular these days. And you're no longer allowed to drive after "only a few ales, officer".

I kid, Richard E. Grant's finest hour isn't suitable for younger teenagers though I suspect Mum and Dad have probably seen it.

I think most of the films featuring London / England life might be too gritty for teenagers (Love, Honour and Obey, Layer Cake, Lock Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels, 28 Days Later, Croupier, Snatch, and Closer all spring to mind) and many others might be too twee and fanciful (Sliding Doors, Love Actually, Notting Hill, About a Boy, 4 Weddings).

Not sure what TV programmes we export to you, but of course Doctor Who has several episodes largely fimed in London (though Daleks are rare in daylight hours in real life).

I reckon a tourism DVD from the library is the way ahead here.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,677 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: London or England movie to give teenagers a glimpse?

<<< Doctor Who has several episodes largely fimed in London >>>

The reboot is filmed mostly in deepest darkest Wales

London, England
Level Contributor
1,319 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London or England movie to give teenagers a glimpse?

I forgot about checking out Vimeo!!! - it's a video site for 'proper' videographers so there is less rubbish on there compared to YouTube.

Check out this channel http://vimeo.com/channels/5576 for documentary style videos.

For more arty ones try this http://vimeo.com/channels/ourlondon It may not interest the kids but there are some good video shorts on there.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,032 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London or England movie to give teenagers a glimpse?

Phil's youtube suggestion is pretty good - although the travel info is a bit confused IMO. I dare say you can ask some questions about travel options in due course....

Personally I find London peculiarly elusive to capture on TV and film - I'd stick with guide books/DVDs and enjoy watching the movies after. (I still get a kick out of seeing a road or two near where I live in Shaun of the Dead and 28 weeks later!)

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
728 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London or England movie to give teenagers a glimpse?

I'm so tempted to say "Mary Poppins"! Children are still disappointed that there isn't a street vendor outside St.Pauls crying "tuppence a bag".

It was a deliberately unhelpful suggestion.