We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Windsor and Hampton Court in a day???

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
iowa
Level Contributor
165 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Windsor and Hampton Court in a day???

Hello all,

This may not be possible but is going to both of these castles in a day possible? Part of our groups want to see the gardens at Hampton and part want the history of Windsor. If its possible can anyone please advise on how they would do this day trip?

Thanks as always,

ddj

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Windsor and Hampton Court in a day???

getting to hampton court:http://www.hrp.org.uk/HamptonCourtPalace/planyourvisit/gettingthere.aspx

Windsor is reached easily by train.

doing both in one day would involve a lot of traveling.

why not let the people who want Hampton court to go there and same with the ones who like Windsor.

getting to Windsor:http://www.windsor.gov.uk/site/visitor-info/getting-here

Edited: 22 June 2010, 16:54
London, United...
Level Contributor
9,248 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Windsor and Hampton Court in a day???

Hampton Court isn't without history. I think if I went to both I would be tired and probably unable to remember which was which by the time I got home.

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
752 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Windsor and Hampton Court in a day???

On our last visit, we thought we might try to see both in a day. It turned out that Hampton Court was a full day in itself - a wonderful day, I might add.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,174 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Windsor and Hampton Court in a day???

I don't think it would be a lot of travelling. Both are easily reached from Waterloo, or Clapham Junction. But I agree each is enough for one day, and if you tried both you would not get the best experience.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Windsor and Hampton Court in a day???

But getting from one to the other is not an easy task. While they aren't that far apart mileage-wise, and both are easy trips from London, it's not easy getting from Hampton Court Palace to Windsor, or vice-versa.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
19,848 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Windsor and Hampton Court in a day???

I'll just chime in and say that both are worthwhile, and they are very different experiences.

Hampton Court Palace does a really great tour--the audio guides through the castle, and especially the medieval kitchen are particularly good. There are re-enactors of Henry VIII and Katherine Parr who are really quite good. The grounds are huge, and very beautiful. It's easily a day.

Windsor Castle is also a good trip, but involves an entirely different experience. This is a castle that is currently occupied by the monarch, and has been for the last 900 years. You can't see as much of it as at Hampton Court, but it will still take a good part of the day. And that's skipping the Long Walk.

If you are also planning to see the Tower of London, you may want to look into the Historic Royal Palace pass, as it might be cheaper to get this then pay for the separate entries. And then you'll skip the queue.

www.hrp.org.uk

I would do both, but in separate day trips. You could combine Windsor Castle with a stroll through Eton, which is just across the bridge.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Windsor and Hampton Court in a day???

<<This may not be possible but is going to both of these castles in a day possible?>>

Possible but you'll have to skip out early on both.

<< Part of our groups want to see the gardens at Hampton and part want the history of Windsor>>

Then each should go to where they want to go rather than everyone goes to somewhere they don't want to go to and everyone gets a shortened visit at where they wanted to go to.

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Windsor and Hampton Court in a day???

I totally agree with LauraRW. In my experience neither place matched my expectations but I loved both and want to go back to both. I (naively) thought I would walk through Hampton Court and feel as if I was walking through Henry VIII's time. It wasn't the case because Hampton court has changed so much over the centuries but there is lots to see. We didn't do the tour of Windsor Castle but friends have said that it is "a working Palace" - fine if that is what you want but not if you want to walk through a thousand years of British monarchs (in which case go to Westminster Abbey).

We loved Windsor because we had a lovely time just wandering around the area and having a picnic on the long walk looking up to the castle.

Edited: 22 June 2010, 19:45
Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Windsor and Hampton Court in a day???

I did the compromise on my trip last year and picked Windsor for sake of my travel buddy who could only handle one palace-esque stop. The working palace concept was actually very cool - it was the day before the Henry VIII 500th anniversary exhibition/celebrations, the Queen was at Windsor and they were prepping for gigantic party the next day. An unusual situation but very "energetic" to observe. It is true, the interior is a limited tour - but St. George's Chapel and the surrounding pomp - the lovely Windsor.... well, it's a wonderful half day or so.

For my trip in November, I am going to Hampton Court.

I agree w/ all, doing both is "a lot of palace" for one day. Letting folks bifurcate is a nice way to keep a group energized --- and folks feeling like they had to compromise too much.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,174 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Windsor and Hampton Court in a day???

I'm persisting with the question of how to get between them.

A taxi is always a possibility, the only downside is the cost but I don't think it would be huge especially if you are more than one person. If you really wanted, you could book a minicab in advance.

Otherwise just take the train from the local station (Windsor and Eton Riverside, or probably Kingston, respectively), a short while to Clapham Junction, then onto the other relevant line.

However I still think one is enough in a day.