We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating at or near the British Museum

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
263 posts
Save Topic
Eating at or near the British Museum

We will be spending the better part of at least one day a the British Museum. For our lunch break, would you suggest something inside the museum or is there somewhere close by that is really good? I like the idea of eating in the museum to send some financial support thier way, assuming that their eateries are not run by an outside service. Anyone know if the food is decent? Just lunch, not looking for a gourmet meal. Thanks E~

Mentioned in this post
British Museum
British Museum
60,837 Reviews
London, UK
Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Brighton, Nice
Level Contributor
6,462 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating at or near the British Museum

Most museums have an outside catering company running their cafés and restaurants, including the BM. Usually, the contract allows for a cut of the profit to go to the museum. I find most museum cafés overpriced, to be honest, but I've had a good lunch at the BM's restaurant.

There are loads of restaurants and cafés near the BM. There's the original Wagamama in Streatham Street, Hakkasan in Hanway Place, a decent Thai restaurant in Museum Street (where lots of BM staff eat), and lots more listed here:

http://www.londontown.com/NearByRestaurants/Restaurant/21913/Directory/Restaurant-near-British+Museum

Mentioned in this post
British Museum
British Museum
60,837 Reviews
London, UK
london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,847 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eating at or near the British Museum

Tas, on the corner of Great Russell Street, ie the nearest corner on the left as you face the museum, is good, inexpensive and reliable. The mezze are good.

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating at or near the British Museum

The Museum Tavern is directly across Great Russell street from the entrance to the museum.

Very nice Victorian (original) decor, nice pub feel, outdoor seating.

Have been there several times, good simple pub grub everytime.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
263 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Eating at or near the British Museum

Thanks. Interesting info on the food service, figured it was something like that. I love Thai and the kids like Wagamamam looks like we should eb able to find something for everyone. E~

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eating at or near the British Museum

There's a Korean restaurant a couple of minutes walk away that always has Koreans eating there.

Or you could have some coffee and cake with a good book at the London Review of Books

http://www.lrbshop.co.uk/pages.php?pageid=4

Southern California
Level Contributor
368 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eating at or near the British Museum

I've found Hason Raja at 84 Southampton Row near Russell Square to be good, but not exactly inexpensive. Also Fryar's Delight at 19 Theobald's Road gets pretty good reviews.

Mentioned in this post
Russell Square
Russell Square
495 Reviews
London, UK
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
58,163 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eating at or near the British Museum

There are a handful of cafes in Southampton Row, not only for those staying in nearby hotels but to feed the hungry medics and staff at GOSH. Savoir Faire in New Oxford Street has good French food at prices that won't break the bank; I too like Tas for eastern Med food.

Carlulccio's Caffe and a branch of Giraffe are at Brunswick Centre, with the latter having appeal for younger visitors as well as adults.

Mentioned in this post
Southampton
Southampton
Hampshire, UK
Oxford Street
Oxford Street
4,249 Reviews
London, UK
Giraffe
Giraffe
1,179 Reviews
Crawley, UK
Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
860 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eating at or near the British Museum

Another vote(s) for TAS and the Museum Tavern :)

Wagamama is great, but as an Asian myself, I find the menu a bit bizzare (sorry Wagamama fans).. sort of Thai/Chinese/Western I would suppose you could also find this kind of chain in America.

By the way, the museum do have their own cafe and restaurant. The cafe is great for a quick bite, the food is just OK... never been to the restaurant so can't say whether it's good or not.

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eating at or near the British Museum

Oh forgot! If the weather's nice there's a cafe in Russell Square that has indoor and outdoor seating, serves sandwiches, lunches, ice cream, cakes, tea, beverages, etc.

Cafe in the Garden.

…typepad.com/eggbaconchipsandbeans/2006/07/c…

We've tried it several times and enjoyed it very much on a beautiful day in London Town. And remember when there was just a ramshakle little ice cream stand on that spot!

Mentioned in this post
Russell Square
Russell Square
495 Reviews
London, UK
London Town Hotel
London Town Hotel
465 Reviews
London, UK
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,485 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Eating at or near the British Museum

Just don't eat at "Munchkins" or any other establishment where accept multiple currencies. Had friends who insisted on eating here...ugh.

Mentioned in this post
Munchkins
Munchkins
378 Reviews
London, UK