We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

richoux

Ponte Vedra Beach...
Level Contributor
743 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
richoux

Any reviews or advice about the richoux for afternoon tea. There will be 6 ladies going to Harrod's and Kennsington area for a the day. It has been recommeded we have tea at Harrod's, but seems pricey. Organy doesn't take reservations and it maybe a long wait with 6 . I would like to go to a smaller, quaint shop, like Bea's of Bloomsbury, but this is not in the area.

Suggestions?

janines

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: richoux

I have been to Richoux for tea and it is a very nice place to do so. great menu,good service and not too expensive. you might check with them online to see if you need to book for your group of six.http://www.richoux.co.uk/menu.php

Edited: 01 July 2010, 16:12
Ponte Vedra Beach...
Level Contributor
743 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: richoux

Thanks, will do.

janines

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cavelossim
Level Contributor
4,006 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: richoux

There's a Richoux just behind the Grosvenor House Hotel. It;s open til quite late in the evening and is a place that we sometimes pop into for the last glass of wine or piece of cake of the night. Probably cheaper than room service too.

By the way Bea's Teas is easily doable since it's only about 5/10 mins walk from Russell Square or Holborn tube stations, both of which can be travelled to directly on the Piccadilly Line from Hyde Park Corner or Knightsbridge tube. Only takes about 10 minutes on the tube. You can pre-book at Bea's. it's quite a small place so I'd advise booking. Keep meaning to go there for tea, but often walk up there at lunchtime to get some of their delicious home cooked food with fab salads to take back to the office. I have managed somehow always to resist the cakes!

Ponte Vedra Beach...
Level Contributor
743 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: richoux

By small, does it appear to have the afternoon tea "experience" or just tables serving tea. I like the idea of a small place that would feel like visiting someone's home. Any other suggestions apprecieated.

janines

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cavelossim
Level Contributor
4,006 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: richoux

Check out the Bea's Teas website and see if you like the look of it. Not quite sure what you mean by the afternoon tea 'experience'. If you mean lots of tourists, travellers, birthday celebrators, people introducing the potential parents in law to one another for the first time etc, all dressed up a bit more than normal in five star surroundings then Bea's will not tick that box. I'm not sure that any place you decide upon for afternoon tea anywhere would feel like visiting someone's home unless your friends normally present you with a priced menu choice!! Afternoon tea is much more of a hotel and teashop experience than something that people here do as part of their normal day to day life. The only time I attempted to serve afternoon tea at home was a bit of a disaster since the visiting New Yorker was, unbeknownst to me, a vegan and my home made scones (I am a Scot and am genetically programmed to make the best scones in the world), fruit loaf, banana bread and chocolate brownies (not typically British) all contained dairy products. All that baking time wasted!

Ponte Vedra Beach...
Level Contributor
743 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: richoux

I did look at Bea's website and that is why I used it as an example of what "afternoon tea experience " I meant. High tea is more upscale, hotel, touristy and with a meal. Afternoon tea, to me, is a time to relax and get a "pick me up" with a few friends.

I was hoping to get a few more suggestions of places to go besides my own find of Beas.

janines

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Brighton, Nice
Level Contributor
6,246 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: richoux

If you're going to be at Harrods, and you want the experience of feeling as if you're in someone's home, then I'd book afternoon tea at the Capital Hotel, which is in Basil Street behind Harrods. I was there a few days ago and had a truly delicious tea for only £18.50 per person (I say 'only,' because the quality was that of venues that charge twice as much). We were served in a small drawing room that really did feel like someone's home, and the food was very good indeed.

I can't say whether there are free refills, because we were all so full that we didn't want any. You certainly won't need dinner later on.

capitalhotel.co.uk/restaurantbar_afternoonte…

Edited: 04 July 2010, 16:19
8. Re: richoux

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 January 2011, 05:17