We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heathrow to King's Cross timing question!

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Heathrow to King's Cross timing question!

Hello everybody,

I was hoping you might help me with some trip planning details. I have very little knowledge of London but I know many of you do.

I'm landing in Heathrow on an international flight next Wednesday at 11:45 AM. I will then proceed to take a train from London King's Cross to Edinburgh. Since it's an international flight, I'll need to go through customs and get my bag; I'll also want to use public transport to get to the city proper.

Considering these variables, what is a safe train to take, time-wise? Do you think I could easily make a 3:00 PM train at King's Cross, or would it be wiser to book a 4:00 PM train?

Thanks so much for your help!

Edited: 06 July 2010, 15:04
London
Level Contributor
2,186 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heathrow to King's Cross timing question!

Have you considered flying from Heathrow to Edinburgh? Whichever you decide a flight or train at 4pm would be safer.

From Heathrow you take the tube (underground) direct to Kings Cross allow about an hour.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
2,826 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heathrow to King's Cross timing question!

As long as your flight is on time this should be ok.

Figure on an hour to get through the airport.

You then get the Piccadilly line tube direct to King's Cross which will also take about an hour.

London
Level Contributor
9,694 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heathrow to King's Cross timing question!

If you going to be at Heathrow, it is a lot less hassle to just fly.

If you haven't already bought a train ticket, you're already looking at a fare of about £120. A flight on British Airways will cost about the same - possibly less.

california
Level Contributor
792 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Heathrow to King's Cross timing question!

For the flight buffs. Some people like the idea of train travel. The scenery sure will be better than at 30,000 feet. My opinion is to stay with your plans and shoot for the 4:00 to reduce stress.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,077 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Heathrow to King's Cross timing question!

<<< For the flight buffs. Some people like the idea of train travel. >>>

And that's what we would recommend - if the OP was in Central London. But they aren't, so in this case flying is the simpler & far less stressful option.

OP for instance won't have to spend an hour getting to central London (which means they effectively gain an hour to make a connection), OP may even be able to get luggage checked through all the way to Edinburgh from home - even on separate tickets and OP could be in Edinburgh at least 3 hours earlier than by train

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,121 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heathrow to King's Cross timing question!

If you've booked rail tickets already then it's a train journey you will make. If you haven't booked rail tickets yet then do check BA's and BMI's fares from LHR to EDI as flights may be cheaper than booking the train at very short notice.

Allow about 40 - 60 minutes for passport control, baggage collection and making your way from the Arrivals hall to the Underground station. The Undergound journey from LHR to KX takes about 55 - 65 minutes. You could book the 1500 train but you'll have to hope that your flight won't get stuck in the stacks and circle LHR for a while as that will start to make the connection tight.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Heathrow to King's Cross timing question!

<<Do you think I could easily make a 3:00 PM train at King's Cross, or would it be wiser to book a 4:00 PM train?.>

That depends. How late, if at all, do you think your arriving flight might be? Depending upon that, you could easily make a 3pm, or miss a 4pm.

Edited: 06 July 2010, 18:44
New York
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Heathrow to King's Cross timing question!

Thanks so much for your input, everyone. Hopefully this was not a mistake, but I went ahead and booked a 16:00 train, which certainly gives me a VERY long, almost-18 hours of travel time total, but I prefer train to flying and will hopefully enjoy the scenery (or at least sleep through it!).

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
826 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Heathrow to King's Cross timing question!

If you find yourself with excess time at Kings Cross, you could visit the British Library which is only a few blocks from there. We did just that a few weeks ago. We were able to see the treasures room, if that might interest you.

Edited: 09 July 2010, 05:42
London, England
Level Contributor
1,319 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Heathrow to King's Cross timing question!

Set your alarm to wake up at Durham - the scenery is pretty boring before that.

When you get to the Northumberland coastline (above Newcastle) the scenery is quite attractive - just watch out for rogue gunmen :-)