We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Blackheath

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bermuda
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Getting to Blackheath

Hi

I'm visiting a friend in Blackheath and I'm wondering which airport to fly into for the easiest train route for Blackheath.

Thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
659 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Blackheath

Gatwick is easy enough. Train from Gatwick to London Bridge, change for the train to Blackheath.

London City is a lot closer but the fares to that airport are quite high. DLR from airport to Woolwich Arsenal, change to the train to Blackheath.

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
1,393 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Blackheath

London City is closest, assumig you can fly there from Newcastle. Take the Docklands Light Railway (DLR/Transport for London) to Woolwich Arsenal, then the Southeastern train from there to Blackheath.

Alternatively Gatwick, then First Capital Connect to London Bridge, then Souheastern from there to Blackheath.

Look at the London Connections map on the nationalrail website get an idea of all the possibilities, and then the train operators' website for the timetables. Others may have better ideas, including your Blackheath friend.

Update - just seen first post - essentially the same advice...

Edited: 07 July 2010, 15:01
Bermuda
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Blackheath

Thanks both.

I did try contacting my friend in Blackheath but due to time difference I can't get hold of her (I live in Bermuda) need to book several ticket for my trip back in the Uk this morning so just wanted a quick answer!

Thanks again

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Blackheath

If you get a flight to Gatwick you do not need to get the rail tickets in advance, so you will have time to check with your friend whether it is actually Blackheath station that is best, there are several stations in the area, some on different lnes but a change at London Bridge would get to all of them.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Blackheath

Luton is pretty convenient as well - you get a train from Luton Airport Parkway to London Bridge, and change there for Blackheath, Kidbrooke, Westcombe park or whichever one of the several stations in the area is best for your friend's house.

Anywhere except Heathrow, really.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,211 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Blackheath

FCC trains don't run through London from Luton to London Bridge at weekends and late night/early morning, you would need to change at St Pancras onto the Northern tube line (if that is running). Also not all the trains go to London Bridge during the rush hour. Check out www.firstcapitalconnect.co.uk & www.tfl.gov.uk for details

7. Re: Getting to Blackheath

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2011, 06:17