We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London in September - historic and/or spooky themed ideas?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
10 posts
Save Topic
London in September - historic and/or spooky themed ideas?

My mother and I are visiting London this September. It has been a long time since my last visit (five/six years or so) and in the past all my visits have been hospital based. This is our first *real* sightseeing trip in London and we would love any suggestions, particularly those with a gothic/spooky theme - or even of those of historical interest in general.

For example, we are hoping to go on the Highgate cemetery tour - anyone know if it is any good? Do you have any hidden gems outside of the major attractions to share?

Also, we would definately consider anything that is outside the area of london (roughly an hour away or so)

Thanks in advance!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London in September - historic and/or spooky themed ideas?

Tower of London,the london walks Jack the ripper tour,to name two. as for hidden gems,I like to take a walk in a nice neighborhood,and see what I can discover. for outside London trips,Windsor,Brighton,Hampton court palace,greenwich,Cambridge are all good choices.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,212 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London in September - historic and/or spooky themed ideas?

A number of regulars have taken tours of Highgate and I'm sure they will be along before too long to offer helpful advice. A number of other cemeteries in Greater London such as Brompton and Kensal Green have much to offer if you like that sort of thing!

You could also take a look at the London Walks schedule (www.walks.com) and see if anything of interest is on whilst you are here.

UK
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: London in September - historic and/or spooky themed ideas?

Thanks for replying.

I really hope to hear if the west side of Highgate would be worth the fuss of visiting.

Has anyone seen/been inside the Death Trap attraction at County Hall? I've not found any reviews online and the website doesn't explain exactly what to expect.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,847 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London in September - historic and/or spooky themed ideas?

Consider a day trip (30 min by direct train) to Hampton Court Palace. Loaded with history (Henry VIII especially, as well as the later Stuart period), it is also purportedly haunted by several ghosts. Most notably, the ghost of Catherine Howard supposedly haunts the Long Gallery. In recent times (Dec. 2003), CCTV caught what may have been a ghost. See http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3760119/

Sorry, I can't help on your Highgate question, as I haven't been there yet.

Rumson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,295 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London in September - historic and/or spooky themed ideas?

The Tower of London has Twilight Tours. They are stopped for the summer due to the daylight. In the past these were conducted in small tour groups by the Yeoman Warders on some Wednesdays at 7pm before the Ceremony of the Keys. There is little info on the website other than they will restart on September 1. if interested try calling 0844 482 7795 to see when you can book since they will sell out.

T

hrp.org.uk/TowerOfLondon/WhatsOn/TowerOfLond…

London
Level Contributor
2,208 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London in September - historic and/or spooky themed ideas?

I'm not sure what you are expecting from the West Highgate tour, it is a fairly amiable and dignified stroll through the older, overgrown Victorian necropolis. Some good commentary on how the Victorians viewed life and death, and an explanation of the symbolism involved with the gravestone and monument designs. It is not a 'spooky' tour - don't expect ghost stories, or actors jumping out from behind the bushes.

Edited: 12 July 2010, 12:35
UK
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: London in September - historic and/or spooky themed ideas?

I hardly expected a graveyard would have actors jumping out of bushes and whatnot. It goes without saying it would be highly bad taste.

My question was more along of the lines of the fact so many reviews online have given a thumbs-down to the majority of the guides.

UK
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: London in September - historic and/or spooky themed ideas?

Thank you for this, this is exactly the sort of thing I was looking for.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
11,929 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London in September - historic and/or spooky themed ideas?

London Walks do some ghost walks.

10. Re: London in September - historic and/or spooky themed ideas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2011, 06:18