We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heathrow Express versus private car

Memphs
Level Contributor
12 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Heathrow Express versus private car

We are going to be coming in on Terminal 4 this weekend. I will have 2 children under age of 16 and a senior citizen with me. We are staying at a hotel near the London Bridge. Since I am coming in on Terminal 4, which option is quicker to get to hotel?

Thank you.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heathrow Express versus private car

The Heathrow Express doesn't go to London Bridge. Therefore, a car will be quicker. And, likely cheaper for 4 or 5 people.

London
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heathrow Express versus private car

As Joe says a car/van shouldl be much cheaper than the Heathrow Express plus taxi and faster for London Bridge.

London Bridge is the other side of the centre from Heathrow and the other side of Central London to Paddington than the Heathrow Express.

Terminal 4 is the only terminal not visited by the Heathrow Express.

You should be Ok for traffic congestion at the weekend from Heathrow unless you are arriving Sunday afternoon/evening

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heathrow Express versus private car

cost of 2 adults and 2 children on HEX is £49.40 - that gets you to PAddington. The cost from there to London Bridge is £4 per adult and £2 per child.

To get from Paddington to London Bridge you would need to get on the BAkerloo and change at Baker Street. Journey time is abot 30 mins from Paddington to London Bridge.

You also have the problem of getting from the station to your hotel.

If you pre-book a minicab, you will be looking at about £45 to £50

To me it is no contest

Edited: 12 July 2010, 09:57
Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heathrow Express versus private car

I agree with the other posters.

Even if the private transfer was more expensive, trying to drag luggage on and off the train and to your hotel with children in a busy place could be a challenge.

When we were in Paris we saw a family with young children (maybe about ten years old?) struggling with enormous suitcases on the metro. They must have had more sense of adventure than me. ;-)

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,293 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Heathrow Express versus private car

You can't get the HEX from T4. You'd first have to get to T1/3 on the Heathrow Connect - but as the HEC goes to Paddington also there's little point changing trains

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Heathrow Express versus private car

The Heathrow Connect is also a bit less than half the price of the Heathrow Express (unless one is able to take advantage of special family offers which sometimes apply to HEX) and only takes a few minutes longer; frequency is at 30 minute intervals.

Memphs
Level Contributor
12 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Heathrow Express versus private car

Thank you so much for your reply. I thought it made more sense to get the private car or mini-cab, but wasn't quite sure.

Again, thank you for your reply. It really helps.

I will look on trip advisor for the websites directing as to which service to use.

Memphs
Level Contributor
12 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Heathrow Express versus private car

Thank you so much for your reply. I thought it made more sense to get the private car or mini-cab, but wasn't quite sure.

Again, thank you for your reply. It really helps.

I will look on trip advisor for the websites directing as to which service to use.

Memphs
Level Contributor
12 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Heathrow Express versus private car

Thank you for your reply. It was very helpful and has made me feel more comfortable knowing what to do when I get there.

Memphs
Level Contributor
12 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Heathrow Express versus private car

Thank you for your reply. It has made more more comfortable knowing what to do when we get there.