We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transport timing Waterloo station

Santander, Spain
Level Contributor
1,899 posts
120 reviews
Save Topic
transport timing Waterloo station

Hi

We are planning a day trip from London to Hampton Court next month.

We might take a train at 09:36 (so, off peak). We are 4 adults and 3 children, so the best rate we can use is a 22.60GBP off-peak day return.

How long in advance do we have to be at the station to get the tickets and get that train?

How should I ask at the booth for the GroupSave card? Do we have to pay extgra for the card?

Many thanks

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,233 reviews
from US$125.50*
Best Seller
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
437 reviews
from US$104.30*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,069 reviews
from US$148.10*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
624 reviews
from US$100.10*
London, United...
Level Contributor
7,419 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transport timing Waterloo station

The direct train leaves at 9.42 every day as per the National rail enquiry webpage. More information would be useful, are you planning to go on a weekend or weekday and what are the ages of the children. Hampton Court is in zone 6, what plans have you made for travelcards or oystercard?

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transport timing Waterloo station

If you have a TravelCard, you can get a slight reduction on the fare by asking for your tickets to start at the boundary of your TravelCard (e.g. "day return from the boundary of zone 2 to hampton Court, please".

There seems to be no pattern in how busy the ticket office is at that time in the morning - some times I have waited 30 seconds to get served, sometimes 15 minutes.

There is no Group Save card - you just get four tickets for the price of two when you ask at the counter.

Santander, Spain
Level Contributor
1,899 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: transport timing Waterloo station

We are planning to go on a weekday; we haven't decided which one yet, it depends on the weather. We'll decide on the spot.

We will be loading pur Oyster cards with 7 day travelcards as we will be there from Thursday to Thursday (will arrive directly from Stanssted to Liverpool Street -hotel there and leaving from Finsbury Square-second hotel there). So, we have 6 full days there and no need of transport on arrival nor departure.

Will PAYG be better for us? We are entitled to use 2for1 at Hampton with the train tickets (although they are from the boundary of zone 2???)

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: transport timing Waterloo station

If you are going to Bushy Park afterwards, the children's playground is very good. However, don't bother going to the cafe - it's a long walk away next to a car park and there is nowhere inside to sit down if it rains.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: transport timing Waterloo station

The queue at the Waterloo ticket office can get long, but it moves quite quickly - at that time of day quite a lot of the windows will be open. Personally, I would allow the best part of half an hour (allowing for getting rom the tube or bus. Of course only one of you needs to be there at ththat time to get the tickets. You will not be able to get on the train more than 10-15 minutes before departure.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: transport timing Waterloo station

And you can, of course, buy the tickets before they day of travel - no advantage in price, but it might remove some stress on the day. You don't have to buy the tickets at Waterloo - you can get them from any railway station (or online, and collect them from a machine at the station).

Edited: 16 July 2010, 10:07
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,384 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: transport timing Waterloo station

You can't buy boundary zone 2 tickets online though - you'd have to specify Putney.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: transport timing Waterloo station

Ah, yes.

Santander, Spain
Level Contributor
1,899 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: transport timing Waterloo station

...so, we can buy tickets the day before from Moorgate (closest to hotel) and ask for "day return tickets from Putney to Hampton Court"

And we get paper tickets for the 2 for 1 offers...

But my question is: we touch in our Oyster cards at Waterloo and what about touching out? If we touch out at Hampton we wil be charged for zone 6.

Am I right? How can we solve this?

Thanks

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,842 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: transport timing Waterloo station

Is there a National Rail ticket office at Moorgate? I think I've only seen London Underground ones. Happy to be wrong if someone knows differently. I seem to remember trying to buy a rail ticket there once and being redirected to Liverpool Street Station (just around the corner).