We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London Musicals....advice please

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
943 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
London Musicals....advice please

We are coming to London again from down-under to experience your culture! Any advice on a musical to see would be appreciated.

Have previously seen Les Miserables (loved it), Chicago (ok) and Billy Elliot (fantastic!) in London...any ideas please...We Will Rock you?? Mama Mia? Grease?? Other???

Bil

SYD-LON-MUC
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance, Richmond, Bondi, Katoomba
Level Contributor
4,145 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: London Musicals....advice please

For me:

Jersey Boys

Avenue Q

Wicked

Seeing Jersey Boys again tonight, it really is that good.

It'll get you up dancing at the end : D

Well it did the stalls going the first xxx times.

Somerset UK
Destination Expert
for Devon
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: London Musicals....advice please

Jersey Boys for me too.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: London Musicals....advice please

Hi Bil.3

It was a toss up for us between Jersey Boys and We will Rock You. Young(early 30's) couple behind us in the line for tickets said "We will Rock You" and i have to say it was fabulous, especially at the end when the curtain falls. We have seen many stage shows here at home and in Melbourne and it's up there with our top picks, Sunset Boulevard, Les Mis,Wicked and The Boy from Oz with Todd McKenny. We also went to Avenue Q (Dawn French, Vicar of Dibley sat just up from us,not sure she enjoyed it??)Priscilla Queen of the Desert and Shawshank Redemption(don't bother).

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
857 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: London Musicals....advice please

We loved Lion KIng, Wicked and Jersey Boys here in London. We are going to see Sister Act in August when Whoopi Goldberg will me staring the show. Have heard Avenue Q is funny, but not suitable for children.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
934 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: London Musicals....advice please

Hi, if you go to a midweek show there are some great deals just now - we 've just bought tickets through ambassador from a link on moneysavingsexpert to Dreamboats and Petticoats for £10pp and from lastminute to see All the fun of the Fair for £5pp! Both for the 1st week in August so looking forward it.

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: London Musicals....advice please

Also check the 2for1s if you have train tickets or paper travelcard. There are several show offers, incuding We Will Rock You.

Australia
Level Contributor
943 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: London Musicals....advice please

Thank you all so very much....you have given so many ideas!

Looks like we will just have to do at least a couple of shows!

Many thanks

Bil

Essex
Level Contributor
27,034 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: London Musicals....advice please

If you really want to see 'our culture' as you say you do, then you need to look carefully at who has written the shows!! Not much point in you seeing a USA or Oz based show is there?? So that rules out quite a few that have already been mentioned.

Perhaps you should forget musicals, and go and see a good Shakespeare play instead??

Anyway, looking at the officiallondontheatre website listings for Musicals, here are those by BRIT people - no recomendatons tho!!

"All the fun of the Fair" at the Garrick - Based on the music of David Essex

"Aspects of Love " - Menier Chocolate Factory - Lloyd Webber

"Billy Elliott" - you've seen that - Elton John!!

"Blood Brothers" - Phoenix Theatre - Willy Russell musical

"The Great British Country Fete" - Bush Theatre from July 28 - Russel Kane

"Love Never Dies" - Adelphi Theatre - Lloyd Webber

"Olver" - Theatre Royal, Drury Lane - Lionel Bart

"The Phantom of the Opera" - Her Majesty's Theatre - that Lloyd Webber bloke again

"Toad Hall" - The Scoop at More London - based on The Wind in the Willows

"We Will Rock You" - Dominion Theatre - based on the music of Queen

I think that's about it, but does seem to give you a range of choice!

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
638 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: London Musicals....advice please

I agree. Why go to London to see what you could see in NYC or Chicago? I live 4 hours from NYC, so get down to B'way a couple of times a year. Two years ago in London, I saw Le Miz, Phantom and Spamalot, all great for different reasons. Wicked is one of my favorite shows, Not hum-able?? Loathing, For good, One short Day....love those songs. Also saw 2 Shakespeare plays, one in Globe Theatre, unforgetable experience, one on St Stephens Green in Dublin, equally memorable although was a modern interpretation..

Have plans to see Billy Elliot and something at National Theatre when I am in London in October, only because the Globe is closed!

Australia
Level Contributor
943 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: London Musicals....advice please

Thank you again for so many fabulous ideas! We live in a tiny little town about 800km from Sydney and so we really look foward to the London offerings each time we go there! This site has suggested many exciting possibilitiies!

Thanks

Bil