We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Child on the Tube

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tel Aviv
5 posts
Save Topic
Child on the Tube

Hi,

I'm travelling with my 10 yo son. I know a child under 11 can ride the tube for free, but how is it working? How does he go through the gates?

More important: should I prove his age every time? This means that I'll have to carry his passport in my purse all the time, something I really prefer not to do.

Thanks

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,876 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Child on the Tube

You go to the manned gate which is normally at one end of the row of turnstiles and ask the Tube employee to let you through

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Child on the Tube

<<This means that I'll have to carry his passport in my purse all the time, something I really prefer not to do. >>

Bring a photocopy of the ID page?

Or, and this is more a question for the others here familiar with this, isn't there a £1 accompanied-child age 11-something ticket? Might be worth buying that to avoid the hassle of looking for a manned gate each time?

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,322 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Child on the Tube

At each set of ticket barriers there is a wide gate off to one side, manned by a member of staff. If you go to him and show your ticket, he will open the wide gate to let you both through.

In practice you probably won't have to show proof of age at all, the staff will show some common sense generally, but you should be prepared to just in case. (Especially if Master Talma looks older than he is). Carry a paper photocopy of his passport.

Tel Aviv
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Child on the Tube

Thanks for the answers

I wasn't sure a photocopy of the passport is sufficient. If so, it's a safe solution.

I also thought of buying for him the 1 day travelcard, to avoid the hassle, but it's only for off-peak (right?), and I'm planning a lot of early morning travel.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Child on the Tube

There is a peak version of the one day travelcard at a higher cost.

But no need - just go though the manned gates.

If the gates are not manned then you'll find all the turnstiles are open - it's an H&S requirement.

Tel Aviv
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Child on the Tube

Thank you for the good advices !

Talma

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Child on the Tube

I can assure you that locals don't carry proof of their children's ages every time they use public transport. There shouldn't be any need for you to do so either.

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,395 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Child on the Tube

When I went with my daughter at 10 y/o, we just went to the manned gates. They are easy to find as they are wider than the others for disabled, etc. Often they are at one side of the row of gates. We only had to wait once when the staff person was assisting someone at another gate. I had my daughter's passport with me, but they never asked to see it.

BTW, my daughter and I have a plan for if one of us gets on the tube and the other doesn't, the one who got on will get off at the next stop and wait. The one who didn't get on will then get on the next train and get off at the next stop. We haven't had to use this yet, but it makes me feel better. Fortunately, she is not above holding my hand yet, so it can be very hard to separate us, even when it is crowded.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Child on the Tube

<<BTW, my daughter and I have a plan for if one of us gets on the tube and the other doesn't, the one who got on will get off at the next stop and wait. The one who didn't get on will then get on the next train and get off at the next stop>>

Always a good idea to have a plan. Hopefully that should never happen, if its that crowded it looks like it might even be a vague possibility just wait for the next one and also move up or down the platform, often the carriages towards the back are much busier than nearer the front. At Liverpools St through to KIngs X for example, after 4pm, the front carriages will be half full, the end ones, standing room only.

Tel Aviv
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Child on the Tube

That's something else I'm worried about, a child get lost or separated in the crowd. I'm going alone with 2 kids (10yo and 13yo), and I have no experience of traveling with them in a crowded place. I think that if a child stays behind, he will wait for me to come back.

I'll take the suggestion of going down the platform.

Talma