We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heathrow to Liverpool by Train?

San Francisco...
5 posts
Save Topic
Heathrow to Liverpool by Train?

I will be arriving at Heathrow at 1:35PM I would like to get to Liverpool the same day. Is the train the easiest way? If so should I buy my train ticket ahead of time , and what time should I get my ticket for to Liverpool? Making sure to give myself time to get my bags, go through customs, and get to Victoria Station to get the train.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,139 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Heathrow to Liverpool by Train?

Liverpool or Liverpool Street - have to ask as many people say they are going to Liverpool when they mean Liverpool Street.

The easiest option would be just to get a flight to Manchester from LHR and if possible to add it to your original ticket in order to get luggage checked through. From Manchester it's a simple trip to Liverpool

Trains for Liverpool leave from Euston not Victoria and if coming from LHR I would allow at least 3 hours between expected landing time and train departure time, preferably more, as you will take at least 2 hours from landing to reaching Euston.

Buy the ticket in advance when the cheap tickets become available which is UP TO 12 weeks in advance and collect at Euston station.

See eastcoast.co.uk crosscountry.co.uk & firstscotrail.com all of whom have accepted foreign bookings in the past

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Heathrow to Liverpool by Train?

Trains from London to Liverpool depart from Euston, not Victoria. Cheapest fares are advance singles which cost from £8 but unless you are booking around 10 weeks ahead (and travelling at a quiet time) £22 or £31 single is more realistic. Note that advance tickets are date and train specific and you'd need to allow at least 1-1/4hrs from Heathrow to Euston plus time for arrival formalities at Heathrow and potential flight delays. With a 1335hr flight arrival I'd not be looking for train departure from Euston before 1700hrs. There are many daily trains on this route and trip takes around 2-1/4hrs.

Are you travelling round trip from London to Liverpool? If so I'd recommend an off peak return for £66.20 return which is valid on any train departing Euston after 1900hrs weekdays....and on any train at weekends. Return on any off peak service within 30 days. There's a train at 1907hrs weekdays which arrives at Liverpool at 2121hrs. For this type of ticket there's no need to book in advance, simply buy ticket at station and board next off-peak train. Timetable and booking: http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
1,589 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heathrow to Liverpool by Train?

Assuming the destination you want to get to from Heathrow really is Liverpool (the port in NW England where the Beatles originally came from) flying is a very good suggestion. Otherwise, if you would rather avoid central London, there are coaches (express buses) from Heathrow to both Reading and Watford Junction stations. See http://www.heathrowairport.com/portal/page/Heathrow%5EGeneral%5ETo+and+from+Heathrow%5ETrains+and+Underground%5ERailair/47942ed4f4599110VgnVCM10000036821c0a____/448c6a4c7f1b0010VgnVCM200000357e120a____/

You can catch trains from both/either of these stations to get you on your way towards Liverpool, but be prepared for at least one change of train en route. This website will provide all the options for the journey: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

You need to select as your destination the main station in Liverpool which is Lime Street (and avoid the trains from Watford which suggest you first travel to London Euston, which is a waste of time and going the wrong way).

A bus all the way takes 7-8 hours with a change at either London Victoria or Birmingham. If you want to check it out, the website is www.nationalexpress.com/coach/index.cfm

It can be a low-cost option, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,612 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heathrow to Liverpool by Train?

Express buses no longer run from Heathrow to Watford Junction although there is a 724 that takes about an hour (more from T5) if traffic is running smoothly. Few trains from Euston to Liverpool stop at Watford so, much as I would you to see my town, this route is probably best avoided.

milton keynes
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Heathrow to Liverpool by Train?

What might work, is Coach Heathrow to Birmingham International airport, then train on to Liverpool.

Another option is Coach to Luton, what will connect with Virgain Trains Coach to Milton Keynes, where you can get a train to Liverpool.

Another option, Coach to Reading, to connect with trains, chaning at Birmingham.

Another option, Coach Heathrow (or flight), to Manchester, aiprort, then train.

All options might be faster/cheaper then having to get to Euston.

San Francisco...
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Heathrow to Liverpool by Train?

Thank you so much for your advice. Is there another airline that fly's out of Heathrow to Manchester besides BMI. Thanks again

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Heathrow to Liverpool by Train?

The most hassle-free and easiest journey is still by train from Euston, you'd be in Liverpool before 7 o'clock.

Heathrow to Euston is about an hour; Euston to Liverpool is 2 and a half hours.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,693 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Heathrow to Liverpool by Train?

Agree that the easiest way is train via Euston. Now, getting to Euston. If you are traveling light (say one roll-on) and you can carry the baggage up a small flight of stairs, the quickest ways would be -

1) Quickest, but expensive:

Take the Heathrow Express to Paddington. Trains run every 15 mins from terminals 1/3/5 and take 15 mins. Then take the Hammersmith & City line tube to Euston Square. Note the H&C line operates from the high-platform numbers of Paddington's main rail station concourse. It's about 6 minutes to Euston Sq. Total cost, 22 pounds (18 for the Heathrow Express)

2) Longer, but cheaper (and definitely recommended if arriving at T4):

Take the Underground to Hammersmith Station. Journey time about 30 mins, but trains run every 5 minutes. Change to the Hammersmith & City or Circle Line, journey time about 20 minutes. You will have to leave the station at Hammersmith and cross the road to get to the H&C/Circle platforms, but it's only a short walk. Cost, around 7.50 (safest to get a zone 1-6 travel card because of the change at Hammersmith).

You'd have to climb the stairs at Euston Square (no escalator). This station is 50-100 yards from Euston mainline station.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,139 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Heathrow to Liverpool by Train?

Can't see how going into central London is the "most hassle free and easiest journey".

It either means a journey on the Tube with a change or a trip to Paddington then transferring to Tube / bus / taxi.

As for flights BA fly LHR-MAN as well as BMI

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,173 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Heathrow to Liverpool by Train?

Rather than deal with the Underground at Paddington and Euston Square, take the Piccadilly line from LHR to Green Park. Take the escalator up to the ticket hall as if you were making your way to the exit but instead of leaving the station take another escalator back down to the northbound Victoria line (platform 3) to Euston. Single fare £4.50 for the journey.

Or spend from £44 - 54 for a flight from LHR to MAN and then take the train from there. BA have three or four flights (depends on the day of the week you travel and given your arrival time) from T5 if you don't want to go with BMI.

Edited: 29 July 2010, 07:41