We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanks London(ers)!

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tim
Austin, TX
Level Contributor
73 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Thanks London(ers)!

I just got back from London with my family of 4 (I was there 2 weeks, they stayed 3) and I want to say what a wonderful time we had. The mass transit system is great (and almost always on time), our flat was nicely placed (North Kensington, leased through London Guest Suites), the weather was better than I had expected.

I know people get jaded about their own town; I just thought you'd like to hear some nice things. Here are my thoughts:

1. The best jazz I've heard in years; better than anywhere in the US (outside of maybe NYC and New Orleans). I wandered into a pub in Isleworth and found myself listening to a jazz drummer that had worked in NYC with Martha Graham, and he was backing a sax player that had played with many of the greats; the music was as good as I've heard anywhere (and I'm a professional musician)

2. clean city and someone offered to help me every time I needed it (you have to ask though);

3. amazing selection of -- um, beer and ale-type libations (and normally I don't drink)

4. great food, though pricey

5. great theatre, rivals anywhere in the world

6. the diversity is awesome; I've never shared space with so many people from so many different places

7. To an American, the history is overwhelming and thrilling

8. a great walking town; if you don't know what to do, just get into town and start walking, you'll run into amazing sight after amazing sight

9. Great musuems (and free!); the Tate Modern is a quality addition

10. outdoor markets with a very big "wow" factor

11. I even rented a car and drove (don't recommend it, but I'll never forget it)

In short, though I'll be paying for this trip for quite some time, I will remember it much longer than that.

Thanks, Brits!

Cheers!

Pacific Grove...
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thanks London(ers)!

I'm not a Brit, but I'm glad you posted, Tim. My experience of London was very similar to yours.

The cleanliness, the diversity, and the great food are all relatively recent developments. When I first visited London 20 years ago, those would have ranked near the bottom.

I was so pleasantly surprised by all the positive changes which, for example, have NOT occurred during a comparable time in the city of Paris.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,441 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thanks London(ers)!

Tim, Thanks for the kind words. It's always great when people say positive things about London. We love to moan so it serves as a reminder to us that we live in (or in my case just outside) one of the greatest cities on earth.

Now can you persuade others to come and spend their dollars here?!

Adam C

London
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Thanks London(ers)!

I also want to say thanks for such a positive posting. I am a Londoner and you can get blase about this wonderful City but I do so love it!

It's great to hear other people who have a good experience as people are often very quick to find fault.

I work in London and during the week don't really see much apart from the office and trains.

However, in September I had some friends from north england come to stay and we went out with them for 3 days/nights and had a fantastic time.

We went on the London Eye and walked along the South Bank all the way to Tower Bridge and there was so much happening that it took us 12 hours! We saw live street entertainers, outdoor markets, Vinopolis (wine museum), outdoor free theatre and more.

For anybody thinking about coming to London I'd definitely recommend it especially in Summer. And June and September early and late summer are both great times.

Regarding costs - I understand it isn't the cheapest of Cities - but there is good food and drink and you can find cheap, good value food if you hunt around too. (Altho' possibly for Americans what we call cheap in London may not be to you - especially with the current exchange.)

USA
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Thanks London(ers)!

London is my all-time favorite city and I agree with everything you said, Tim.

I would love to get some recommendations of restaurants that Adam and Strawberry (and any other locals) like.

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,296 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thanks London(ers)!

Tim, way to go. I love London and the U.K. in general as well. I 've loved all my day trips to other places and public transportation is amazing. I'm a beer lover so I'm in heaven while in Britain. Cask conditioned English ale is the best. I know what you mean about getting help from Brits. A very reserved and to themselves people until you ask a question! Then we were practically taken by the hand and shown directions. Very impressive. A wonderful city and country and it is probably my favorite place to travel to.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Thanks London(ers)!

I was only in London once, in 1977, and I remember very specifically standing on a sidewalk (about 3 or 4 young and very silly college girls) looking befuddled, I suppose, because a Londoner stopped as he passed us to inquire "Can I be of any help at all?" That made my trip.

I'm soon off for my second trip to London, and can't wait to mingle with the locals.