We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hop on-off

PGZ
ARLINGTON, VA
Level Contributor
96 posts
Save Topic
Hop on-off

HEllo,

any body has a good recommendation for hop on-off bus ? which one to go ?

thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,613 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hop on-off

Both The Original Tour and the Big Bus are of a muchness, covering the same sights and routes. A number of TALFers have said they preferred a tour with a live rather than taped commentary so if that appeals ask before booking / boarding.

A river cruise is a very nice addition, so if the tour offers that as an additional extra it's worth having.

SYD-LON-MUC
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance, Richmond, Bondi, Katoomba
Level Contributor
4,161 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hop on-off

or if you are up to traveling with the locals have a good travel guide (Lonely Planet, AA, Rough Guides etc) and try your hand at London Buses.

You'll see much more of London including the major sites.

TP and myself are big fans even though the tube may seem that little more convenient.

If you do - I know that TP is extremely resourceful when it comes to the Spider Maps : )

London
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hop on-off

We went on an hop-on-hop-off tour bus several years ago before moving to London. SInce then the price has rocketed, and I don't think either provide good value for money any more.

But they are businesses, and they operate in a tourist-mecca, so I don't blame them for charging the prices they do - people will always pay it!

If you absolutely must go on a guided tour, neither are any different - they both show the same sights.

BUT - I would second what k1w1brad said and try the regular city buses. You can pick up a one-day travel card for about one fifth of the price of a guided tour (this would cover bus, tube, dlr etc). Best part is that almost every bus now has an announcement system, so, for example, when the bus is pulling up to Westminster Abbey, it gets announced on loud speaker and displayed on a screen. Then you just need to have a quick read of your guide book. Guided tour done on the cheap.

Get a seat near the front of the upper deck, and enjoy the trip!

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
648 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hop on-off

Which are the best bus routes to take as psuedo-tour buses?

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,151 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hop on-off

The heritage routes 9 and 15 are as good as any. Great routes (Albert Hall to Aldwych and Trafalgar Square toTower Hill) and during the day roughly every other bus is an old routmaster.

…wikipedia.org/wiki/…London_heritage_routes

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hop on-off

Pegdafittr (nice name!): the number 9 and 15 routes go west-east. You could also try the number 88 going south-north.

For example, starting at Vauxhall underground station, you go past the MI6 building (our equivalent of the CIA), across Vauxhall Bridge with good views up and down river; Tate Britain; Westminster Abbey; Parliament Square; Trafalgar Square; Piccadilly Circus and on to Camden Town.

http://tinyurl.com/26gb69o

in about 45 minutes.

SYD-LON-MUC
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance, Richmond, Bondi, Katoomba
Level Contributor
4,161 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hop on-off

<< The heritage routes 9 and 15 >>

I love these routes. Especially when you manage to get on to one of the Routemasters : )

I took my cousin on a ride on the route 9 recently.

Here is a couple of pics I took:

http://k1w1brad.com/rm/

It just feels so english.

EDIT: and it you do there is no Yellow Card reader for your Oyster Card. Instead there is a conductor on board and and will come around to zap your oyster or collect money for the ride.

Edited: 01 August 2010, 21:46
Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
648 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hop on-off

You must have missed my post looking for Union( or British equivalent) Pipefitters or Plumbers in London...

The Worshipful Company of Plumbers has 8 Lady Stewards...

My union has 10 journeywoman plumbers/fitters.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,613 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hop on-off

Eight Lady Stewards? Nicely done, Worshipful Company!

The number 11 is a good route to go along with the 9, 15 and 88. The 24 travels from Trafalgar Square to Hampstead Heath with the C2 from Victoria travelling alongside Regent's Park - very pretty it is.

Take the 43 from Highgate station towards London Bridge. On a sunny clear day the views from the upper deck as the bus travels along Archway Road are great.

Wodonga, Australia
Level Contributor
65 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hop on-off

What are the crowds like at this time of year on the sightseeing buses? I know in my city during March the tour buses run every 20 mins but they are always so full that you can just wait and wait to get on one.