We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking from Hasting to Beachy Head

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boulder City, Nevada
8 posts
Save Topic
Walking from Hasting to Beachy Head

My husband, my son and myself are visiting England/Scotland

and have one day in southern England. We would like to see Hastings and walk along the cliffs of Seven Sisters.

Is this reasonable? Where would we take the train from London

to? Thank you so much for your help! I also have some questions about our time in Northern England, but that can wait for now.

Thanks again!

SYD-LON-MUC
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance, Richmond, Bondi, Katoomba
Level Contributor
4,148 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking from Hasting to Beachy Head

Its doable but for me it seems a little too much unless you plan on leaving very early.

Get Southern Rail:

London Victoria to Hastings = from £9.40

Hastings to Seaford = from £23.75

Seaford to London Victoria = from £9.40

Hastings to Seaford is very expensive - not sure why but someone here will probably know.

All prices are from the Southern Rail website:

http://southernrailway.com/

and for 2 adults and 1 child.

Hastings is very nice but I prefer the walk from Seaford to the Seven Sisters.

Here are some pics from our walk:

http://k1w1brad.com/images/seaford/index.html

just click left/right of main photo to scroll.

FYI - The Seven Sisters was featured in Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire.

IMO - if not fussed about the cost then do both Hastings and Seaford otherwise a return to Seaford for all of you will be from £32.40 for all of you.

Alternatively - hire a car and drive and you could probably fit in Battle when you are on the way down to Hastings.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking from Hasting to Beachy Head

Hastings to Seaford is expensive because Southern offer cheap advance tickets to travel to/from London but not for local journeys

SYD-LON-MUC
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance, Richmond, Bondi, Katoomba
Level Contributor
4,148 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking from Hasting to Beachy Head

thanks for that dzug...

if you are walking all the way to Beachy Head you might as well continue to Seaford.

Therefore your total train fare could be as low as £18.80 for all 3 of you. Not bad considering the distance traveled.

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking from Hasting to Beachy Head

Eastbourne is a closer "old fashioned" beach resort to Seven Sisters than Hasintgs.

I found, and posted this walk yesterday:

southdownsway.co.uk/sdw_eastbourne_exceat.ht…

You might like to browse the website

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking from Hasting to Beachy Head

Hastings is an interesting town. However it is a very long walk from there to Beachy Head a lot of which is built up. There is a waymarked route from Battle to Pevensey which is where William I landed. A better place to start a wal over Beachy Head would be Eastbourne and continue on to Seaord as KiwiBrad suggests. There are regular trains from Hastings to Eastbourne but to fit them both in one day would be pushing it.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for London, Brighton
Level Contributor
6,130 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking from Hasting to Beachy Head

For the record, Hastings to Seaford costs £9.50 (off-peak). 1st class is £14.20.

I was in Eastbourne yesterday. It would be lovely (and easy from Victoria) to start your walk from there, as RailTraveller advised.

7. Re: Walking from Hasting to Beachy Head

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2011, 08:26