We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Off Beat East End Walking Tour

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Off Beat East End Walking Tour

Came across this walking tour which took my fancy.

Don''t know a thing about the company and have not been on this tour but it sounds very good for people who like to see the 'real' London rather than treat London like a theme park on the well trodden tourist trail.

urbanadventures.com/london_tour_east_london_…

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Off Beat East End Walking Tour

It does look interesting, but why is the price $39.78? What's that in English?

It takes several hours, so I'm not criticising that, but you can do a lot of this on your own.

"Highlights: Admire the work of young British artists in Hoxton Square's galleries, tuck into pie and mash ina traditional East End caff', browse the stalls at chic Spitalfields and funky Brick Lane, have a cuppa on a converted London bus"

The converted London bus must be "The Rootmaster" vegetarian cafe on a double-decker bus on the edge of Spitalfields Market.

Edited: 05 August 2010, 19:34
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,397 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Off Beat East End Walking Tour

£25 seems rather a lot for a wander along Hoxton Market (F Cooke for pie and mash I should think) via Hoxton Square and through Spitalfields to Brick Lane. YMMV.

Hm, it is pie and mash at F Cooke. That'll teach me not to read the whole page before posting.

Edited: 05 August 2010, 19:37
Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Off Beat East End Walking Tour

"The short walk along the Regent's canal is on a narrow towpath, there is a hazard of cyclists en route"

No mention of the greater hazard posed by joggers !

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,397 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Off Beat East End Walking Tour

I"m still trying to figure out which park could be 'one of East London's best' by the route the walk takes. From Old Street to Fifteen, to Hoxton Square and along Hoxton Market .... couldn't be Hoxton Gardens.

Gainsborough Studios were in Poole Street, so the park referenced must be either Ply Park or Shoreditch Park, both of which are decent enough green spaces but not a patch on Victoria Park.

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Off Beat East End Walking Tour

http://upcoming.yahoo.com/group/14831/

But if you wanted to stroll around east London on a Sunday with Londoners, I can recommend the above link from personal experience.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Off Beat East End Walking Tour

As it went Regent's Canal - park, I thought it could only be Vicky Park. The only circus school I know is behind Hackney Town Hall.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,218 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Off Beat East End Walking Tour

Reviews here - tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g186338-d1…

Number 79 in the top 780!

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,322 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Off Beat East End Walking Tour

I love the fact that East London is somehow considered the only "real" bit of London left. Cities evolve year by year... what was East London like 100 years ago? Identical to now? or identical to 100 years before? Niether is the answer, nothing stays the same.

The real London is any of London. It all evolves, and has done for 2000 years, as much as the East enders would like yew to fink dey invented it awl, innit. ;-D

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
943 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Off Beat East End Walking Tour

Well said, Canucks! See you in Oct?

Cheers

10. Re: Off Beat East End Walking Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2011, 05:18