We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Illinois
Level Contributor
17,165 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
VisitBritain tells you how to deal with tourists

http://tinyurl.com/2f6b73e

Apparently in the run up to the Olympics, VisitBritain feels that Brits need to know how to deal with tourists. Just in case you've never dealt with any in the past. ;)

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: VisitBritain tells you how to deal with tourists

I'd like to know what the heck "pouring wine into a glass backwards is !

Rather than worry about talking to a Mexican about "the war" (the one in 1846-8 !!!) or avoiding saying "thank you" to someone from China (good grief) it would be simpler to have a "reverse" set of advice - "Tourists, you are in a foreign country, don't be offended if its not the same as at home" .

Though perhaps to any Argentinians , in a similar manner to that common pub sign re credit, "Just as its your (apparent) custom to refer to someone's clothing in a derogatory manner, don't be offended by the friendly British response of a smack in the face, as that's ours" :-)

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,165 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: VisitBritain tells you how to deal with tourists

Hmmm, I didn't see anything about pouring wine into a glass backwards. Who doesn't like that? I wonder if that's pouring into the wrong side of the glass or pouring while facing away from the glass.

I suppose you could recommend issuing a tourist alert as you suggested, but that would be unfriendly to tourists, and I know you wouldn't want that! :-)

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,393 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: VisitBritain tells you how to deal with tourists

That had to be a tongue-in-cheek write up. Quite funny if it was. Downright insulting if it wasn't.

We've welcomed visitors to this country for centuries, I think the majority of us know how to be friendly.

As Joe says, perhaps it might be more useful to explain to foreign visitors all about our strange ways.

Groomsport, United...
Level Contributor
1,577 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: VisitBritain tells you how to deal with tourists

what a load of twaddle!!!!!! another `agency' that wants scrapping!

Who drinks wine out of a glass anyway? ;)

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,875 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: VisitBritain tells you how to deal with tourists

"Pouring wine into a glass backwards"

I know what this means - it is considered unlucky in Italy - but it is not so easy to describe. Imagine holding a bottle of wine in your right hand......the usual way to pour is to tilt the bottle, thumb undermost. If, instead, you tilt it with the thumb uppermost.............that is "pouring.....backwards". Needs a strong wrist if the bottle is full.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: VisitBritain tells you how to deal with tourists

When John Foreigner comes to the UK they should be learning our ways. It shouldn't be us trying to accomodate them.

At least now I know I can snap my fingers at a Belgian or wink at a Chinaman just to annoy them in future.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,829 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: VisitBritain tells you how to deal with tourists

Amazing. All these years I've been travelling, assuming the whole point was to experience something different, see different things, observe different customs. Seems I was wrong, and I should have been expecting all those other places and people to adjust what they do and how they behave to make me feel comfortable. This is what happens when political correctness is allowed to become the norm.

London
Level Contributor
2,214 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: VisitBritain tells you how to deal with tourists

I had no idea winking was considered rude in China. Why, on my last visit to Shanghai, did the young lady keep winking at me while I was having a foot massage? I assumed she was just being friendly. Did I miss something?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: VisitBritain tells you how to deal with tourists

dicanio........"We've welcomed visitors to this country for centuries"

'cept for the invading ones. We ignored them until they got sick of the weather and left!! ;-)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: VisitBritain tells you how to deal with tourists

EalingBlue......"Why, on my last visit to Shanghai, did the young lady keep winking at me while I was having a foot massage?"

Which foot????