We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hackney Empire Show or West End Show New Years

Cradley Heath...
Level Contributor
87 posts
336 reviews
Save Topic
Hackney Empire Show or West End Show New Years

Taking the kids to London New Years Eve and would like to take in a family show while there. Panto seems the obvious choice but strangely not popular in London. Has anyone been to the pantos at Hackney Empire with their under 10's ? Has anyone been to a really great family show in the west end. Our kids are aged 3 ,7, 9

Would love to have your recommendations.

Also is the queueing for Rain Forest Cafes worth it ?

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,520 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hackney Empire Show or West End Show New Years

I don't know why you think pantos are not popular in London. It's true that you won't see many if any in the West End, but it would be a tall order to expect shows like Phantom or Les Mis to stop for six weeks so that a panto could be put on in their place.

There are loads of pantos outside central London but some are easier to get to than others. Apart from the Hackney Empire, an easy one to get to for visitors is the Theatre Royal, Stratford, just a five minutes walk from Stratford Tube station. Alternatively, if you want to stay in the West End, Oliver! might be a good choice. Not only is it a good musical which children would enjoy, the latest production has just a hint of pantomime elements, with Bill Sikes being booed when he comes on stage and Fagin doing a comedy sketch at one point.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hackney Empire Show or West End Show New Years

The Hackney Empire regularly gets very good reviews for its pantomimes, due i part to the tem effort that goes into them year after year. Also they don't rely on TV "celebrities" to draw in the punters.

It is not that pantos are not popular in London. There are always quite a few around the suburban theatres, but not in the West End where the big theatres tend to be taken over by long-running musicals.

Cradley Heath...
Level Contributor
87 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hackney Empire Show or West End Show New Years

Thanks for your suggestions, while following up I came across The Arts Theatre in Leicester Square which is putting on a family panto Puss In Boots for the christmas season. Its a small theatre I must have passed lots of times without noticing. I think it sounds ideal.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,429 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hackney Empire Show or West End Show New Years

Personally I don't think much of the food at the Rain Forest Cafe and the atmosphere isn't that great BUT I'm not a kid anymore and the groups that I take there generally seem to enjoy themselves.

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
12,937 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hackney Empire Show or West End Show New Years

If you decide which theatre/panto for your trip, strongly suggest you book early, esecially for new year's eve. As for food at Rain Forest cafe, went once, was not impressed by either the food or the prices, but kids ( as they were then!) loved it.

6. Re: Hackney Empire Show or West End Show New Years

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2011, 06:16