We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recent London Trip

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Southern California
Level Contributor
368 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Recent London Trip

Hi all:

I was in England for a week and got back on 12/17. Been meaning to post a report here.

I stayed at a hotel near Russell Square the first four days. The first night I ate at an Indian restaurant called Hasan Raja on Southampton Row. I highly recommend the place.

I also had purchased tickets to A Christmas Carol, starring Patrick Stewart. It was a fantastic performance. I took a train from London up to Manchester and attended the Man Utd. vs. Wigan match. Man Utd. won 4-0. The train ride gave me a great opportunity to see some of the English contryside. Lots of sheep and cows.

When I got back I stayed at the Sherlock Holmes Hotel on Baker Street. It's an upscale hotel in a nice area. Being on a main street meant the traffic noise was rather loud but nothing I couldn't handle.

I spent most of my time in London at Covent Garden in the Jubilee Market. I managed to find a toby mug there for my mom.

All in all a good time with clear, but cool weather.

NH
Level Contributor
190 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recent London Trip

LittleRed: Sounds like you had a great trip. I also stayed at the Sherlock Holmes. Great hotel, great area.

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recent London Trip

Little Redhead: Sounds like you had a good time. Once while traveling from Darlington to Newcastle, a young English boy was in the seat in front of me. He kept turning around to point out all the "sheeps" to me. I in turn pointed out "horses," but he wasn't interested.

How large or small was the room at the Sherlock Holmes?

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
879 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recent London Trip

what is a toby mug? i ask because my mothers name is toby

heh

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recent London Trip

Did your room at the S.Holmes have a see-through bathroom door?

Southampton...
Level Contributor
655 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recent London Trip

Ooh, I'm a huge Patrick Stewart fan! Does anyone know if/where he's performing now?

Thanks!

DaddyO

London, United...
Level Contributor
981 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Recent London Trip

Allen074

Toby Mug and Toby Jug - very old - basically a mug or jug made with a character on the outside - traditionally a male called Toby.

Have a look here : -

theprivatecollector.com/Group/T2E2D52NYCRLP7…

or if you want to see hundreds more go to www.google.com and put Toby Mug in the search box - click 'Google Search' and you should see around 300,000 sites to choose from

London, United...
Level Contributor
981 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Recent London Trip

DaddyO

Yes right now he's in "A Christmas Carol" at The Abbey Theatre - London.

If you wish to find out more about Patrick Stewart go to www.Google.com and put Patrick Stewart in the search box - click on "Google search" and you will get around 12 million web sites to choose from.

Southern California
Level Contributor
368 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recent London Trip

Hiya all:

Yeah the Sherlock Holmes hotel was nice with a fairly large room and I had a double bed. The bathroom doors are frosted glas which I thought was unusual.

Yes I saw Patrick Stewart perform at the Abbey Theatre. It's on St. Martin's Lane near Leicester Square. I'm not sure if he's still performing there as I believe A Christmas Carol's run was only until Dec 18th.

Southampton...
Level Contributor
655 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recent London Trip

number59, thanks for the info. I've got only 11,999,996 web sites left to check!

And yes, it appears that Mr. Stewart has concluded performing in A Christmas Carol for now.

Glad you enjoyed your visit, Red!

DaddyO

London, United...
Level Contributor
981 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Recent London Trip

A Christmas Carol runs until the 31st December