We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Latest strike news?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oregon
Level Contributor
545 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Latest strike news?

My apologies if I missed this somewhere here, but are there any updates on the possible public transport/Tube strikes?

I seem to keep catching only small bits of the BBC updates and I'm beginning to wonder if it's going to potentially effect my upcoming mid-September trip. And what other options are available should we be there during a strike.

Also, this is probably a somewhat silly question, but while I'm familiar with the Tube system, I've never taken a bus in London. Would buses be operational if the Tube is on strike?

Thank you!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Latest strike news?

I thought you were thinking about the BA or BAA strikes.

I wasn't aware there were any Tube strikes planned.

But that is partly because these kind of strikes are threatened on a regular basis, but the threats are generally just that - threats to encourage the other side i the dispute to get round the table and thrash out a solution.

Most announcements never materialise into strikes.

I wouldn't worry - it may never happen.

As to whether the buses would be affected, probably not, but it depends on which section of the workforce goes on strike. But I don't think you really want to get a bus if there is a transport strike.

Please remember that several million people rely on public transport to get to work every day, and a lot of pressure will be exerted to not have strikes..

For a visitor, the inconvenience should be minor.

London
Level Contributor
654 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Latest strike news?

I'm not aware of any problems, Muppet. You do need to remember that there are almost always line closures on the weekend for engineering. this site should be your first port of call for public transport info http://www.tfl.gov.uk/

If there are tube closures there will be bus replacement services and remember you get to see more when on the bus. Also remember that in central London many tube journeys can be easily walked instead.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,914 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Latest strike news?

Think you may have heard about this news item from yesterday

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-11010731

Nothing is planned yet and the unions are going to be talking to the management, keep an eye on the local BBC news for any updates on http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/london/hi/

London
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Latest strike news?

I suspect there will be a long line of false alarms in the next few months with various people threatening industrial action.

Its almost become part of the pay bargaining for some sectors with a them/us mentatlity and heavily unionised.

- employer offers a derisory pay award to see if the employees have the stomach for action. keep back a reserve contingencybudget which they are willing to pay.

- union calls a ballot to get permission in principle from its members to strike. Company hopes union trips up on a technicality holding the ballot making it invalid or don't get a majority.

- assuming ballot goes through serious 'negotiations' with the unions threatening strike action and the company with the contingency pay reserve in its back pocket.

- win, win - the union looks good in the eyes of their members getting an enhanced pay offer and the company is smug not having paid more than its original budget using its contingency fund. Maybe they'll get away with a derisory offer next time.

In all seriousness the public sector in particular are almost certainly to be very active with industrial action as deep cuts are made in October with lots of redundancies and cutbacks aggravated by the government introducing legislation so they don't have to pay so much redundancy payout as they do currently.

Needless to say the media as usual won't offer balanced reporting but put up alarmist banner headlines to grab your attention.

Edited: 19 August 2010, 13:05
Oregon
Level Contributor
545 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Latest strike news?

Sorry for any confusion. I should have been more detailed in the subject line for my post. Focused on what might effect me, I guess, since we're not flying.

So this is a case of strategic threats rarely resulting in action, accompanied by a dose of media hype? That makes a certain amount of sense (and thank you for the explanations of the issues at hand). That's why I asked the question here, rather than rely entirely on the media reports.

We're used to dealing with the possible maintenance closures. I always make sure our hotel has access to at least 2 different stops and multiple lines. I check the TFL website too. Helps avoid nasty surprises when you're on a timeline. Walking is always our first choice (budget-wise and for what you get to see in the process.) My main concern this time is that we have several day trips already booked that require leaving town (on time and early in the am, returning late evening) from locations that are too far to walk. That, plus arrival and departure from St. Pancras is also too far to walk. Having a back up plan just in case seemed prudent, since it's too late to change the bookings. If they really did strike, I was concerned that alternative forms of transport (buses, taxis) might not be so easy to access either, with the number of commuters involved, and we have less experience using them.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Latest strike news?

My inclination (if there was a strike that affected your plans) would be to book a minicab for the portion of the trip that is affected by the strike. EG your hotel to station.

If that won't work (but I think it will), then I would consider travelling to the day trip destination the evening before the disruption. It depends on how important the trip is to you.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Latest strike news?

Maintenance and engineering staff will walkout for 24 hours at 1700 on 6 September, 3 October, 2 November and 28 November.

Other workers, including Tube drivers, signallers and station staff, will strike for 24 hours from 2100 BST on the same dates.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-11083153

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,445 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Latest strike news?

This dispute is all about jobs, security and the power of the unions and nothing to do with pay. As such it will be harder to negotiate a settlement although I suspect ACAS will get involved.

The BBC London website has some very helpful stuff although not all of it can be viewed from outside the UK - bbc.co.uk/blogs/mindthegap/2010/08/mind_the_…

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,322 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Latest strike news?

"Would buses be operational if the Tube is on strike?"

Yes they would, most tube staff belong to the RMT (Rail / Maritime Transport) union, whereas bus drivers come under the umbrella of the TGW(Transport and General Workers) union. So buses will be a good standby, though they'll get very busy.

TfL are looking to close smaller, less productive ticket offices, like say, West Ruislip, Upminster, Arnos Grove and the like. They argue that these offices often sell less than 6 tickets per hour, and that all customers using those stations have the option to buy from automated machines using cash or debit cards. TfL will of course keep all of the busier ticket offices open in central London.

I've just seen Bob Crow rattling on about how it's all very well to expect commuters to pay at a machine, but that tourists will find it impossible to buy tickets at the offices that are mooted for closure... I'm not sure if he has any figures on how many tourists begin their holiday in Barking, but I bet it's not many. If you don't know Bob Crow, he's an angry, foaming, militant 70's throwback who likes to spout cr@p and stuff up everyone's week on a regular basis.

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Latest strike news?

"TfL will of course keep all of the busier ticket offices open in central London. "

Why 'of course'? If the company can get away with closing more ticket offices then we're all sure that they will. As AdamHornets said, it's all about the union trying to protect jobs so I can't see any quick fix on this one.

Whether having more unstaffed stations is good for the public or not (answer: no, it isn't), it's obviously going to happen if the company wants to maintain or increase its profits.