We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hilton London Tower Bridge hotel - the surrounding area?

Gothenburg, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Gothenburg
Level Contributor
687 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Hilton London Tower Bridge hotel - the surrounding area?

Hello,

I have planned a weekend in London for me and my dad, our plan is to attend a few soccer games. We have almost choose to stay at the Hilton London Tower Bridge hotel, we know it's not in a "tourist area", but will we still be able to find neighborhood pubs and eats in the area?

EK

London, England
Level Contributor
94 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hilton London Tower Bridge hotel - the surrounding area?

The area is actually pretty 'touristy' nowadays. There are plenty of restaurants and pubs in the surrounding area, I would recommend the pubs and restaurants in Bermondsey Street which is just a few minutes walk away (through the railway arch across Tooley St).

London
Level Contributor
654 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hilton London Tower Bridge hotel - the surrounding area?

You need have no worries about the area at all. Cross Tower Bridge and have a look round St Katherine's Dock, don't go to The Dickens but walk on to The Town Of Ramsgate which is about as good as a riverside inn/pub can get beerintheevening.com/pubs/…Wapping

On the same side of the river as you you have Shad Thames just to the south which is an interesting place to visit. North of you you have a great south bank Thames Path walk. You are also close to London Bridge for Borough Market and borough pubs such as The Market Porter and The George. Not a bad place to be at all.

Lytham St Anne's...
Level Contributor
79 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hilton London Tower Bridge hotel - the surrounding area?

Have no fears. This is a good area to be staying. Plenty nearby, as already stated, with excellent transport links to almost all other areas of London.

I, too, would recommend crossing the river (north) and heading east to Wapping. Apart from the Ramsgate, there is also the Captain Kidd and Propsect of Whitby - both fine riverside hostelries in a quieter part of town.

Have a great time with your Dad!

Edited: 19 August 2010, 11:30
West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hilton London Tower Bridge hotel - the surrounding area?

You don't have to cross the river. The Horniman pub in Hays Galleria is near your hotel and has great views over the river

http://www.haysgalleria.co.uk/eat.php?id=8

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hilton London Tower Bridge hotel - the surrounding area?

<< we know it's not in a "tourist area" >>

I think the first thing you need to do when you arrive in London is buy an up to date guide book.

Gothenburg, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Gothenburg
Level Contributor
687 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hilton London Tower Bridge hotel - the surrounding area?

Lol, it's been more than 10 years since I last visited London, sorry.

EK

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,620 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hilton London Tower Bridge hotel - the surrounding area?

This will get you in the mood

http://www.foundersarms.co.uk/view/index.htm

8. Re: Hilton London Tower Bridge hotel - the surrounding area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2011, 07:25