We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking - west/south west London

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,603 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Parking - west/south west London

Hi

I've checked the FAQs etc but haven't found an answer, though I'm sure this has bee asked many times before.

On my all to infrequent visits to London I usually park the car at Stanmore tube station and get the train in. Next week we're overnighting in central London and then heading for Portsmouth, so Stanmore doesn't seem like the right place to stop. Can anyone recommend a similar location more in the direction of Hampshire where we can leave our vehicle, with easy access to public transport, please? We'll probably be coming down the M40 so can easily get on the M25.

SYD-LON-MUC
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance, Richmond, Bondi, Katoomba
Level Contributor
4,148 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking - west/south west London

You could try around West Ruislip which is nearby the M40 / M25.

For exact location CanucksTraveller would be the best to answer this with prices.

London
Level Contributor
110 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking - west/south west London

Wimbledon station car park would not be a bad bet - pretty close to the A3 and very quick and frequent commute in and out of London (trains every 5 mins to waterloo, taking 15-20 mins to get there). Not sure of the parking charges but probably discoverable via the internet. A3 is a very fast road out of the London going to Portsmouth. It links with the M25 at junction 10 of the latter.

Otherwise, you could consider the following rail stations- all easily accessible from waterloo and close to the A3 but a bit further out of London - you would need to check the parking arrmts.

Claygate

Worcester Park

Motspur Park

Surbiton

(I would avoid Kingston on Thames as traffic fairly terrible)

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,730 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking - west/south west London

I agree about Surbiton, and possibly somewhere like Esher or Woking. depends how 'far out ' of London you want to be.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,603 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking - west/south west London

Thanks all and hi Peter, how are you?

The main reason is convenience - it will probably be faster to get the train to outer London than to drive. Cost is of secondary importance, but I suppose I'd like to avoid the congestion charge.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,730 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking - west/south west London

Hi Chris - have been to to Shetland for the otters, puffins, killer whales, etc. great place.

If you are coming round the M25 you could either head in on the A3 to Surbiton or Wimbledon (nowhere near the congestion area), or head south to Guildford, which has a good fast train service into Waterloo. Or anywhere in between. From there you have a lovely journey to Portsmouth, but do check the latest situation with the roadworks at Hindhead. Lots of pretty alternatives if busy.

London
Level Contributor
154 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking - west/south west London

Driving into central London isn't as bad as some people think it is.

You could, for example take the M40 / A40 all the way to Edgware Road, then head down Edgware road into the Park Lane car park avoiding the congestion charge.

Getting out of London will simply be driving down to Hyde Park Corner and take the A4 all the way out of town onto the M4 / M25 / A3

Londinium born and...
Level Contributor
4,229 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Parking - west/south west London

Park in the Asda at Clapham Junction. It's a bout £10 for 24 hours and then a bus ride into town, or get the train from the station, a 5 minute walk away.. Straight onto the A3, via Wandsworth when you leave.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,603 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Parking - west/south west London

Thanks for all the useful tips.

Killer Whales, Peter. fantastic! I've only seen one, from the Brodick to Ardrossan ferry in, I think 1982 but we're off on the Bilbao ferry after London and hope to see plenty of whales and dolphins.

I've driven plenty of times in central London - it isn't even close to rush-hour in Marrakech or San Jose CR. I always seem to take ages getting out of the city, though, which ever route I take.

Edited: 20 August 2010, 17:54
London, United...
Level Contributor
419 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Parking - west/south west London

If your driving at the weekend then you might as well just drive into central London, lots of places such as Pimlico and parts of Westminster have free parking all weekend.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,858 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Parking - west/south west London

It does depend on the time of day you are likely to be dealing with the M25. If it's in the middle of your arrival day then it probably makes sense to get round the M25 and then up the A3 to stay south west of the capital but if it's the rush hour then I would continue on the M40 until it becomes the A40 and use Hillingdon (Metropolitan and Piccadilly lines) which has a large car park and is next to the A40.