We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to France from London

New York
Level Contributor
382 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to France from London

Hello all, planning a vacation for next spring (April 2011). Was wondering if anyone can give me some good travel advice on traveling from London to Calais, France for a day. Any companies anyone can recommend?

It will be a party of 8, and we will only be able to spend a day there.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,795 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to France from London

Hi,

Quite an unusual request. Calais isn't that big an attraction unless you need to catch a ferry, and the ferries are about a mile from the town.

You can, I think, get a Eurostar train to Calais (www.eurostar.com),

or a normal train to Dover, and then ferry (eg, P&O)across the channel.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to France from London

<<Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! .>

Don't waste your time and money doing that is my suggestion.

Day trip to Paris, by all means, an excelent idea, go for it.

Calais has nothing to recommend it unless you have a car and are visiting a wine and beer warehouse.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,584 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to France from London

For a daytrip take the Eurostar from St Pancras to Calais.

Alternatively there is a fast train to Dover Priory from St Pancras then the ferry if you want to see the sea and the White Cliffs.

But Paris & Brussels are just as accessible on a day trip

New York
Level Contributor
382 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to France from London

Is it an unusual request?

Never traveled to Europe before, and a coworker suggested visiting Calais, France for the day, and I thought that was the closest port. If it's not worth a day trip and it's not really recommended, I will scrap the plans.

Is a visit to Paris too far?

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,457 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to France from London

Is there a special reason for Calais? If not , and you are happy to get on a train but don't want to go to Paris you might consider Lille as an alternative. A nice town with an easy to walk round town centre, a few interesting buildings, some nice restaurants and about 2 hours by Eurostar from London.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to France from London

<<Is a visit to Paris too far?>>

Paris is a smidgeon over 2 hours city-centre, city-centre. Probably quicker than getting to Calais once you add in the faff of getting from the Eurostar terminal into Calais proper.

I can only believe your co-worker has only been to Calais and nowhere else, rather than say, Lille, Brussels, Paris (all of which are only 2 hours) because frankly its not an unusual choice, its bizzarre.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,457 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to France from London

Lots of people do Paris as a daytrip. It's a long day, but doable. The best price Eurostar tickeys are available 120 days before travel.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,717 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip to France from London

Maybe your co-worker is unfamiliar with Eurostar? City centre to city centre in just over 2 hours so I would head for Paris rather than Calais.

http://www.eurostar.com

New York
Level Contributor
382 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip to France from London

Thank you all! I am bit unfamiliar with European geography and attractions. Calais was a suggestion from a coworker - definitely not a must see from what I'm gathering. I can definitely take that off the list then.

Does anyone know how many hours by rail is it from London to Paris?

New York
Level Contributor
382 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip to France from London

We are literally laughing out loud in my office right now. I have to tell my coworker about her suggestion is not getting rave reviews from my Trip Advisor friends. And she prides herself in being a world traveler!!!! I'm glad I came right to the source!