We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much London is expensive?

Herceg-Novi...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How much London is expensive?

I am planing to come in London in november and would like to know how much London is expensive, food and drinks, can i bay a sandwich for 2e, half liter of coca cola for 1e? Maybe this is stupid questions but I am living and studying in poor country and I would like to see London

London
Level Contributor
154 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How much London is expensive?

London is in the UK, we use Great British Pounds.

A half litre of coke will cost you about £1, sandwiches can cost anything from £1 for a basic one in Tesco, up to £4 for something you might want to eat in places such Pret.

around about ireland
Level Contributor
336 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much London is expensive?

im not so sure about 1 or 2euros (that isnt the currency here)

but if u buy the food in a local supermarket

im sure u cud

i

London, United...
Level Contributor
659 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much London is expensive?

Buy your food and drink well away from the tourist hot-spots, or in advance in one of the many large supermarkets, and you can live far more cheaply.

Tourists complain about prices in London usually because they insist on sticking around the touristy areas!

If you make your own sandwiches etc, then it's cheaper still!

Edited: 25 August 2010, 16:59
Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,557 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much London is expensive?

Average price for a half litre bottle of Coke from a newsagent = About £1:30, (equal to 1.6 Euros).

Average price for a ready made sandwich from a large chain = About £2:70, (equal to 3.2 Euros).

As WorldTraveller says, it is possible to pay much more, and much less. Buy a sandwich from a tourist food booth next to the Tower of London and it could be up to £4. Buy it from a Boots supermarket and it can be as low as £1:50.

There are many ways to visit London cheaply however, from staying in hostels, to using buses as your sole transport, to buying food from supermarkets at the end of the day when the price has been reduced. There is a thread on this forum devoted to saving money, I'll try and find it for you.

Edit:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k135…

Edited: 25 August 2010, 19:05
West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much London is expensive?

There is an expert on London and also an expert on Serbia called Stooferuk, who is very helpful. If you sent him a private message with any questions I'm sure he would be able to give good suggestions.

Go here and click on the "Send Message" button on the left-side of the page

tripadvisor.co.uk/members-forums/Stooferuk

Also keep asking questions here, of course!

Edited: 25 August 2010, 23:03
Herceg-Novi...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: How much London is expensive?

Than you for help, and what do you thin about accommodation in London? Where is the best position for low price? I have heard that there is some hostels for only 10 pounds for night, is it true?

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,552 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much London is expensive?

Marko, I think you would also find it useful to look at other websites. For example, I believe Lonely Planet has a forum for backpackers and other people on a very low budget. There are likely to be more people there with personal experience of the kind of hostel accommodation you are looking for.

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,557 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much London is expensive?

"hostels for only 10 pounds for night, it is true?"

Not really. Say 20 pounds per night, and that's more like it, you should be able to find some good hostel rooms for £20. I know that the YHA hostels at St Pauls and Bankside have rooms at this price.

It is just about possible to get a hostel bed for between £12 and £14, but the hostel may be some way out of central London, or it will be in a large dormitory sharing with a lot of young people. St Christophers hostels have some very cheap beds but are like party central, so you might need your ear plugs.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,544 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much London is expensive?

And if you stay rather far from central London, you will need to spend on public transportation about as much as you save on lodgings.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,611 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: How much London is expensive?

Hello Marko

I've just seen your mail, and Glyn thank you for the mention but I'm no London expert, I just try :-)

i can't help with London budget accommodation like these guys Marko, but as I know Beograd as my second home I can offer you some advice and costs/food comparissons. Do send me a pm as some will be off topic, I'll be happy to help where I can.

The short answer for budgeting for your food, sandwiches and fast food style of eating, is to look at your costs in Beograd and x by 3.

Unfortunately you won't get the quality of food as in Beograd unless you spend much much more, it will be a shock. UK fast food/convenience food is not good by comparrison, especially meat. No such thing as DUFF in London and most things organic are high cost, we have mass production society here so be prepared for that, lots of the food is tasty and you can get by without spending too much.

Beer like food cost x 3, equivalent to RSD300 for 1/2 litre of lager beer.

But branded drinks like cola, actually not too much more than in your city. If you think about costs of eating and drinking on the fashionable splavs, clubs, Knez Mihilova, silicone valley etc. that's getting closer to UK basic economy prices.

X by 3 should keep you in budget. if you want more pm me. You'll love seeing London, do it if you can.

Stoofer