We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Supermarket Question Tower Bridge Area

Guangzhou
Level Contributor
434 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Supermarket Question Tower Bridge Area

We will be staying at a Travelodge near the Tower Bridge and picnicking many of our meals. I've looked at google maps and found three supermarkets within half a mile of the hotel. Could you tell me which I'd be best off frequenting to pick up some simple but tasty items that we could take for lunches and breakfasts, please? The three I've found are Tesco, Waitrose, and Cityside Supermarket. Thanks for your consideration.

Guangzhou
Level Contributor
434 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Supermarket Question Tower Bridge Area

Very helpful, Lizzie, thank you. And it's nice to know it's a pleasant walk. I'll clip and paste your return instructions into my notes to take along!

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
2,783 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Supermarket Question Tower Bridge Area

There's absolutely nothing wrong with Tesco own brand anything.

Sure, some of their basics range might be a bit... basic, but the regular range and the Finest range would do you very well for picnic food.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,038 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Supermarket Question Tower Bridge Area

You will find there are branches of Tesco Express, Sainsbury local and cafes like Eat, Pret a manger, Caffe Nero and Costa, even Boots which have food and does a 'meal deal' all over the place which may be easier than trying to shop and make lunches in a Travelodge but you will see that once here.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,038 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Supermarket Question Tower Bridge Area

And Marks and Spencer, both those with food halls and their Simply Food branches.

Londinium born and...
Level Contributor
4,287 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Supermarket Question Tower Bridge Area

There's a Marks & Spencer simply food in Tooley street, not far from the Travelodge.

Guangzhou
Level Contributor
434 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Supermarket Question Tower Bridge Area

Parkland, good ideas and yes, it would be great to find budget options that prepare simple meals. Trillian, thanks for the Marks and Spencer location. I do want to check that out! I'm sure it will fall into place once I get there but it's nice to have a flexible plan so that one isn't at a loss the first day or two when still jet-lagged.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,034 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Supermarket Question Tower Bridge Area

I am exceptionally lazy at times (erm, most times), and from the TL in Goodman's Yard would take the number 100 bus towards Shadwell rather than walk to the Waitrose (which is a good'un). Take the bus from stop K and alight at Vaughn Way and The Highway - you'll see Waitrose just ahead on the right, tucked back into a precinct of shops.

There is a big Sainsbury's just behind Whitechapel Road near the junction with Cambridge Heath Road. If you take the 254 towards Holloway from Aldgate station and alight at stop E (second link) near the Blind Beggar. Walk from the bus stop through the market stalls and look to the left where you'll see a little walkway next to the Library which will take you to the car park and shop. The 254 for the return trip calls at stop R, maybe three minutes' walk from the Sainsbury's along a driveway - you'll see it at the way out.

The little Tesco Express in Mansell Street is small; there's a bigger Tesco Metro in Bishopsgate not far from Liverpool Street station.

tfl.gov.uk/tfl/…toweroflondon-2261.pdf

tfl.gov.uk/tfl/…whitechapel-2446.pdf

Guangzhou
Level Contributor
434 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Supermarket Question Tower Bridge Area

Thanks, TP. I love having a bus map of the area where we will be staying- very helpful.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
567 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Supermarket Question Tower Bridge Area

TP, I continue to be amazed. I'm saving this info as we will also be able to make us of these shops when we're in our vacation rental in less than 4 weeks. Thanks!

20. Re: Supermarket Question Tower Bridge Area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2011, 06:53