We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

b&b or Inn near St. Pancras

Edmonton, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
b&b or Inn near St. Pancras

We will be arriving at Gatwick and taking the First Capital train into London for two nights before taking the Eurostar from St.Pancras to Paris. As my friend has never been to London I am hoping to find accommodations near St. Pancras that have more charm than an Ibis type hotel. Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: b&b or Inn near St. Pancras

You should understand that St Pancras station and the adjacent King`s Cross station have been operating in this location for 140 and 155 plus years respectively. Railroad termini do not tend to attract charming B&Bs and Inns. In fact, until St Pancras was restored and became the Eurostar terminus, respectable people left the area as quickly as possible upon disembarking.

This is changing, and a lot of the rooming houses and rent by the hour places have been converted into proper budget hotels. Whether they have developed any charm, I don`t know. Do a search on `argyle street hotels London` and you will come up with a number of these. Some, like the Wardonia, Alhambra and Jesmond Dene get fairly good reviews.

I have not yet convinced myself that this is an area I would want to stay in.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,047 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: b&b or Inn near St. Pancras

I have always had a soft spot - some might say between my ears - for King's Cross. The area has had a great deal of refurbishment since the building of the new British Library and the resurrection of St Pancras; a number of people are choosing to live in that part of London and are proud of their neighbourhood, making it as pleasant a place as possible.

Having said that, I think you might be best off to venture a short bus ride from the station, although the Euro Hotel in Cartwright Gardens is worth a look. The Wardonia does what it says on the tin in that it will offer a clean en suite room, but the room one rents will be one of the smallest in London.

The Gower Street hotels may be a better option. They are perhaps a 15 minute walk from St Pancras or a five minute bus ride. B&B style hotels, family run, offering clean and comfortable rooms, good breakfasts and very good rates for central London. Check the Arosfa, Ridgemount, Jesmond and Arran House and see what you think.

3. Re: b&b or Inn near St. Pancras

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2011, 08:17