We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Comedy Store book in advance for a Sunday?

Leicester
Level Contributor
208 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Comedy Store book in advance for a Sunday?

Hi, I am planning to come to the Comedy Store on a Sunday night in October with my husbdand. Just wondering if it is best to book in advance or if we are likely to be OK getting tickets on the day when the box office opens? I have NUS so would be good to try and get the concession price on the day (and avoid the service charge for booking on the internet) but don't know if we'll end up losing out altogether by leaving it until the day.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Leicester
Level Contributor
208 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Comedy Store book in advance for a Sunday?

Also, does anyone know how much the student concession is?

Thanks

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,331 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Comedy Store book in advance for a Sunday?

If you're actually planning to go, then I'd book it, It does get busy. I've only ever gone with pre booked tickets, but people do queue up on the night and do sometimes get in (depends on just how busy it is that night) so it's possible if not necessarily adviseable.

Not sure how much the student concession is, sorry. I'm a few years past that point.

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,331 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Comedy Store book in advance for a Sunday?

Actually, thinking about it more, on a Sunday in October you might stand quite a good chance of getting in on the night, I've mainly been on Fridays and Saturdays. Is there anyone particularly well known on? If it's newer comics then I'd say there's every chance of getting tickets on the night. If it's "Whose line is it anyway" with Paul Merton and Josie Lawrence, then see my previous reply. ;-)

Leicester
Level Contributor
208 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Comedy Store book in advance for a Sunday?

Thanks it's the improv night and line up currently says Phill Jupitus, Andy Smart, Neil Mullarkey, Richard Vranch, Stephen Frost, Niall Ashdown. I've only heard of Phil Jupitus form that line up.

Hmmmm, dare I risk it?!

Also thought about 99 club which is a bit cheaper (£8 on a Sun) - don't know if anyone has any views on that one?

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,331 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Comedy Store book in advance for a Sunday?

Neil Mullarkey is a regular, he was one of the original improv performers. Ditto Richard Vranch. You'll remember him as the pianist who did all the musical numbers on Whose Line, including the memorable "hoe down" at the end. That being the case, I'd be inclined to book.

Not been to the 99 club but have been to Lee Hurst's backyard at Bethnal Green, that's a good night and rarely needs to be booked in advance.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,340 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Comedy Store book in advance for a Sunday?

It used to be the case that summer was quieter but the colder darker nights were busier in the comedy store - I am though a couple of years out of touch in that regard.

But in your shoes, if I wanted to see these guys I'd book so you can relax and enjoy a drink somewhere first without fretting.

Stoofer

Edited: 31 August 2010, 16:42
Leicester
Level Contributor
208 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Comedy Store book in advance for a Sunday?

Thanks for the advice. I looked up Lee Hurst's backyard but unfortunately 2 problems - no Sunday shows and also closing for refurb in Sept. Thanks for the tip though - a good one to remember for another time maybe.

Think you're probably right - for the sake of saving £5 booking fee and maybe £2 or £3 with my NUS I would probably just rather get it booked and know we're going.

Still interested in any views on 99 Club though should anyone have any.

Thanks again

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,331 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Comedy Store book in advance for a Sunday?

My apologies, I didn't take notice of when you're coming here... I was only saying 2 nights ago on this very forum that Lee Hurst's club is closing in September. Sorry.

I think you're probably right to book. I forgot to mention earlier that those who book in advance get the seats nearest the front... those buying the last tickets are in the back rows, though it's a small venue so the view isn't that bad... you just miss out on being within feet. And as Stoof says, with tickets in hand you can go for a meal or drinks and breathe easy knowing you're already in.

Either way, enjoy, and I hope someone can help with the 99. You might try the search function and then use a PM to reach someone direct.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
691 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Comedy Store book in advance for a Sunday?

I've been to the Comedy Store twice now, both for the Sunday Improv night, and I prebooked tickets both times, just to be safe. There are "regulars" who take up a lot of seats once they arrive. Even with prepurchased tickets, don't wait too long to go or you could end up sitting behind a post.

Of the lineup you list, I've seen Andy, Richard (twice) and Phil...(with others, of course). Both times, I've laughed so hard I had to eat cough drops to stop the ensuing coughing fit. If you liked Whose Line, you should enjoy watching the Comedy Store Players (who only perform on Wednesday & Sunday nights).

According to the website, admission is £17 with £12 for concessions. It doesn't specify anything further.

Leicester
Level Contributor
208 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Comedy Store book in advance for a Sunday?

Just thought I'd update this post in case it is of help to anyone else.

We did book our tickets in advance and due to the timing of the other things we did beforehand, and due to wanting to take advantage of happy hour at the comedy stpre, we got there a bit earlier than we originally intended - about 7pm at which time it was fairly empty. It busied up by about 7.30 so I would say we would have been fine just getting them on the night really. Also, there was no sign of any particular seats being resevred or anything (I wondered whether, if we had waited and got tickets on the night, we might have been consigned to rubbish obscured seats. Didn't seem that way though - mpre like first come first served - just sit where you want.)

Phil Jupitus disappeared from the bill about a week before the show which wI thought was a sham but in actual fact it was so hilariously funny anyway we didn't miss anything at all. I have NEVER laughed so much at a comedy show - I was literally in tears. Absolutely brilliant - would recommend the improv night to anyone.

Thanks!